Gibson Brands Forums

2020...what a load of...

'Scales

So it's December. We played our most recent gig in December last year. The local bushfires in Oz were still raging, but we had rain and the fires were out locally - finally things were good and we rocked out in celebration! Enter 2020.... Feckin Covid hits in March. Not one gig, I haven't seen any live bands. Wrote a couple of good new songs, rehearsed maybe 10 or 12 times. Now what? 

Well Oz is still likely the best place to be worldwide. 

Many people here in the uk are resentful, irritable and depressed. Its getting worse locally for me too. My region is far worse affected than in the spring.

I too miss gigging. I was to play at my son's wedding in June this year. He & his fiancee have rolled this over to 2021. Will it be any better then? Will they cancel again? 

Some say how we face things (good or bad) is who & what we are. It could be loads worse. Fingers crossed for vaccines soon & try to ride it out.

Well said M-E .  We are are indeed in an enviable position at the moment but are world citizens and I for one am very sad to see the UK situation. I love traveling there and have a feeling of dread that I might not be able to visit again any time soon. Wishing you all well - our closest brothers in many ways.

man, the lack of live music snaking up the street from the village pub on a Friday night (including courtesy of yours truly a few times each year) is as weird as the lack of planes flying in and out of the Gold Coast high up in the night sky. I was just watching Falkirk vs Rangers soccer and  before that the darts from the other day in Coventry...no crowds at all. Very sorry to see. Get well soon UK.

• Thanks 1

I must admit 2020 has been a very unforgettable year for us aside from all the personal tragedy, and to add the state of our country how nobody tries to see eye to eye anymore, and all the struggles people are having to endure with job loss, lack of food and death.

I think the song by John Lennon (Crippled Inside) really speaks directly to a lot of what's currently going on in todays environment.... such a shame. 

Same here 'Scales.  Nothing going on.  A few of the places we were regulars in are gone for good.  It is quite distressing, but there is starting to be possible light at the end of the tunnel for us, as there seems to actually be a couple new places getting ready for the new dawn.

What's next?  I've greatly expanded my Collection Management Portfolio. 

I hate cheap, junkyass slotted machines.  Three guitars lined up for new machines, as pain in the keister as that may be.

My #1 Tele has 23++ year old Grovers that I, as a young man, hacked onto it.  They are shot.  I am not looking forward to it, but they are getting changed.

Some pickup changes.

Make one of my strats into a 2 full size humbucker strat.

Things like that are keeping me busy, stuff I've been telling Mrs for years I'm going to do.  Someday.  Someday is now.  Along with making our rehearse schedule every two weeks, just keeping our chops up, not adding any more to our literally hundreds of songs we are trying to keep track of.  Just staying "good".

Sucks for now, but it will probably get better overnight and then we'll be all mad that we aren't ready.

rct

I miss singing & playing live too! I miss the electric feeling I get when performing...  

Meanwhile my band "The Fab-Tones" has been recording Covers virtually.. It has been a great way to play music with other people & quite a learning experience for me.. It does help sharpen your chops as it totally exposes your singing & playing abilities.. 

I think we'll sound much better live than we did before.. It's been good therapy & a productive way to endure the lockdown..