Gibson Brands Forums

Which '59 Reissue?

jazzbro

This has probably been covered but - I'm looking at some options for a '59 Reissue ES-335.  I don't know which years are better than others as well as Memphis vs Nashville differences.  I understand some years both shops made the '59 Reissue. 
What to  look for, what to look closely at...  what you like, what you don't.

(1959 because I like a thicker neck than the 60's but not too huge like a '58. )

For one thing, there were precious few '59 re-issues from the Nashville custom shop.

I spent more than a year looking before finding the right one: a pristine  '59 Historic ES 335 in cherry red.  These were built by the Nashville custom, art, and historic shop.  All of the Historics came from that shop, to the best of my knowledge. You can recognize them in part by their different serial number formats and labels compared to Memphis guitars, unless that has changed.

Ironically, mine is a bit of a unicorn, since it isn't clear if any red ES 335s were built in 1959.

I went looking for a Nashville-built guitar after input from Charlie Gelber, who runs (or ran) a website and blog on vintage ES 335s. He felt the Nashville-built guitars were better from construction quality and authenticity perspectives, but I have no way of verifying that.

In any case, mine is a gorgeous guitar in detail, playability, and tone. The rosewood fretboard is black as ebony, the fret ends are properly done, the binding is aged, every detail seems right.

You will probably pay a premium price  if you can find one. You're the only one who can decide if that premium is worth it.

If exclusivity is a barometer for Guitars becoming more valuable Memphis ES335's exclusivity, since they are no longer produced in Memphis, must be increasing in value..

You can still buy a Nashville ES335... 

I watched  a video  re; the 59 reissue Memphis ES335. It has the extra slotted piece of shaped wood that's used with the Center Block... I believe they said the Nashvile doesn't have that.. Not sure if it really does anything more than to help maintain the rounded body shape on the back of the Guitar.  They are beautiful Guitars... 

As are the Memphis 59's.. Would like to see more informative reviews about them also....