Gibson Brands Forums

Winter reading

Mr. Gibson

5 hours ago, IanHenry said:

I'm patiently awaiting the delivery of:  Where's My Guitar? An Inside Story of British Rock and Roll by Bernie Marsden,  which is, so I'm told highly recommended. 

I thought Where Is My Guitar was written by Steve Ford after he got his guitar swiped of the delivery truck.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I’m a big reader of Dean Koontz.  He’s great at making real or unreal people/situations something to dread.  I’m pretty much caught-up with his latest books,  so I’ve picked-up two that I’ve missed over the years.  The first book of his I read was Phantoms.  It actually made me ambivalent about going to the basement.  I was in my 30s....lol......Anyway, he writes page turners.  If you like getting a chill up your spine, he’s the guy to read.

1 hour ago, MissouriPicker said:

I’m a big reader of Dean Koontz.  He’s great at making real or unreal people/situations something to dread.  I’m pretty much caught-up with his latest books,  so I’ve picked-up two that I’ve missed over the years.  The first book of his I read was Phantoms.  It actually made me ambivalent about going to the basement.  I was in my 30s....lol......Anyway, he writes page turners.  If you like getting a chill up your spine, he’s the guy to read.

There's some of his books in the house I'll have to check it out.

18 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I thought Where Is My Guitar was written by Steve Ford after he got his guitar swiped of the delivery truck.

I don't know about the Steve Ford one but here's the ISBN number fort Bernie's book: SBN 10: 0008356556  ISBN 13: 9780008356552. I've no idea why there's two.

Here's the book on Bernie's site: Where’s My Guitar?: An Inside Story of British Rock and Roll - Signed Edition | Bernie Marsden

On 12/3/2020 at 8:13 PM, Mr. Gibson said:

There's some of his books in the house I'll have to check it out.

Yeah, he can truly creep-you-out and have you looking over your shoulder or hesitate before going in a dark house.  Watchers is another of his books that has your skin crawling.  All his stuff is creepy and I’ve read so much of his stuff I can’t remember it all.  If you have Phantoms or Watchers, read them first.  Real page turners.

Here's a question for you readers - what can you get a reader for a present that is not a book?

My father's a reader, likes all the grisham, baldacci, patterson stuff - and I want to get him something for christmas.  He's already read a lot, so I just don't want to get him a book for fear he's already read it.  Doe anyone have suggestion for any book clubs, or something a little more personal than an Amazon gift card I could give him?

Rgds - UF

I'd chance it.

Mostly non-fiction fairly recent current events type stuff.

Nearly done with John Brennan's Undaunted (really good) and up next is Facts And Fears by James Clapper.

That black Classic never did turn up.  Whoever grabbed it got a beauty, it was pristine.

I always liked fiction, as I was usually wanting to escape reality, things like Ice 9, Cats Cradle, Dune, Lord of The Rings, Stranger Strange Land, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, 2001, 198 4, I Robot, Syd Arthur and also Asian philosophy and mysticism like Confucius, Tao, KI in Daily Life, Book of the Five Rings and so on... But now winter to me is just more rain and the pages get soggy...

Edited by mihcmac

If you like science fiction Philip K **** was great.

This site,  His last name starts with a D and then there is ick.

He was totally nuts but his writing was just great.  

The underlying theme of all of his work was what is reality?  He got it into his head that what we're seeing an experiencing is just a superficial layer.  Crazy man but interesting reading.

Edited by SteveFord

I would.  Yummo.

This is making it hard to discuss literature.  [wink]

I just read "The Ox", bio of John Entwistle.  There are books on or by all members of the Who (including Kenney Jones) now.   It was never exactly a happy band.

If you want something completely different, "War Music" by Christopher Logue (pub. Faber) is a cinematic free-verse translation/modern language interpretation of much of Homer's 'Iliad'. 

Gods and men,  plenty of hubris and it gets extremely violent.  Brilliantly evocative writing - absolutely riveting.

Edited by jdgm