Gibson Brands Forums

les paul on ebay. is this a genuine Les Paul?

migo33

Hi,

I am putting my eye on this Les Paul which seems to be very cheap for it's age. something tells me that it's not a genuine Les Paul. see item at

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260381306542&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:AU:1123

I also got some images of the neck which look a bit odd. first of all, no Les Paul mark and the serial number is totally rubbed off. what do you think?

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

THanks

Mic

It doesn't look right to me - the high e-string looks very close to the edge of the nut. The headstock color ought to be black, and it's unusual to see the tulip inlay on a LP headstock. That tobacco burst finish doesn't look right either. Get more close up photos.

Something about the gibson logo looks screwy to me. I had to look at it for a minute to realize what it was. Isn't the "b" and the "o" supposed to be open? Also, the "s" doesn't look right and the rake of the logo is weird.

Buuuuuutttttt.... I'm not an expert by any means.. they could have changed the logo at some point. We'll see what the experts say.

It could be one of those weird norlins... the pickup mounting, the tuners and 3 piece top make it seem like one of them (weird ***, hard to find, but original gibsons). But it could be an over used and abused fake (but I would say its a norlin).

Ask for a picture of the side of the fretboard.

Most Norlin-era instruments from the '70s had the serial number on an oval decal which was positioned on an area exactly like that on the snap. It may just have fallen off as the adhesive wore off over time; It may also be that this instrument was a second and the owner removed the sticker to disguise the fact as this is also where the number 2, indicating such an instrument, would have been marked; far less likely is this possibility, and I quote : " the use of decals bearing the serial number has been noted on certain guitars made during this period...and these can be removed with ease should the guitar ever be stolen..."

Something about the gibson logo looks screwy to me. I had to look at it for a minute to realize what it was. Isn't the "b" and the "o" supposed to be open?

Not during this period. The Gibson logo looks fine to me as does the shape of the headstock and the tuning pegs.

This neck also appears to have the volute which would be period-correct.

The pick-up mounting rings for the mini-humbuckers would originally have been creme and smaller but the ones fitted may have been a necessity if there were yet another pair of incorrect pups fitted at one point. The pick-guard is obviously not original but I wouldn't worry about that too much.

The head inlay and the fact that the face of the peghead isn't gloss black are odd and I doubt whether the fitments would have originally been gold instead of chrome.

If it goes cheap then someone will (IMHO) pick up a nice enough Norlin-era Gibson.

Here's another Tobacco 'burst DeLuxe by way of comparison.

TobburstDeLuxeSmall.jpg

Archived