Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Basshole

Slap bass vs regular bass

I was at GC the other day, trying out some Getty Lee Jazz Basses. I was playing through a small combo on low just minding my own business. Playing the solo parts from YYZ from rush. Then some other fellows came in and herd what I was playing. They found a rig and started playing slap funk bass so loud that the snare drums were rattling in the other department across the store.

Then they said to me

"that anit no bass playin, you shure your a bass player"

Now I like funk bass its cool, I can kinda do it but its not my cup tea. I personally kinda dislike it because the drums are supposed to keep the beat and the bass to keep the rythem not the other way around. <<dont get this part twisted please.

What are your guys take on slap bass?

I think slap bass can be cool (and fun to play). But everyone has their own styles that they like.

Did you tell those guys to cram it?

yeah too bad some people cant just be ok with other people having a different approach to an instrument,

as long as someone can groove, i like it all

from john paul jones's solid riffs,

to les claypool's funky alternative slap beats

I just told them politely that I like your style but I prefer to play my style and that there is nothing wrong with neiter style

No need to be mean but stand firm in your belief thats all

Agreed that there is no need for those sort of comments. However, I love slap bass and in fact if I was a bass player that is exactly what I would specialize in.

I just told them politely that I like your style but I prefer to play my style and that there is nothing wrong with neiter style

No need to be mean but stand firm in your belief thats all

+1 Whatever you like... its not like anyone can even hear you guys anyway. =D> JK :)

I think it's cool... but as with shredding, you can ruin a perfectly god song by over-slapping, which is what most idiots do.

Most kids and grown up idiots think they have to be 97,5% slap to be a good bassist. The truth is, the less of it you use, the better songs sound. Playing funk? Ok... use it, but even then dont abuse it. If you are playing anthing else, use it once pero song at the most, or it will just get in the way.

I was a bassist for 7 years (played in 2 bands, one was 100% latin music) and I almost never did any slap... when I did, it really got the audience's attention, and that was good. I remember lots of other bass players asking if I could do slap, I always responded "can you not do it for a whole song and still make it interesting and soulful?"

I just told them politely that I like your style but THEN I TACKLED THEM ANYWAY

Fixed!

Anyway... you know what I like more? Bass with a pick... you get that iron maiden sound that is just unbeatable.

Fixed!

Anyway... you know what I like more? Bass with a pick... you get that iron maiden sound that is just unbeatable.

V iolence has never solved anything ecept silencing show boating slap basssist who wanna show off how well they can play "play that funky music white boy"

well for some songs I do play with a pick. It gives the song a more defined trebley sound. I play with my thumb (traditional bass playing) it gives it more of a bassy sound. Im prettty good at em both

You know what you should do next time?

Take a friend with you, but tell him to stand at some distance so no one notices he is there with you... if one of those a-holes starts giving you sh-t have your friend come in excited asking you for an autograph. They will feel like dumbasses and will probably start asking around to see who that guy (you) is. Hell they even might ask you for an autograph themselves.

Or you can tell your undercover friend to just blind-tackle them.

It's what the show boaters judge other bassists by. I like it and use it but sparingly. With the music I play I'm not out to see who can get the most attention on stage but rather I'm there to move the music along and help keep the song grooving.

It def has it's place and it takes practice and stamina to do it but it can be over done easily.

Nice choice in basses btw. Next time shove it up their *** and tell them they are lucky you chose the geddy lee and not the mexican p bass.

I think slap is overrated. It's kind of like tapping on a guitar.

I used to play upright in my high school and college jazz bands. My favorite bass style is a hip walk or a feisty uptempo swing groove.

If you can play jazz and hold down the beat (the bassist holds the time in jazz bands) then you can play anything on the bass.

Slap bassists like that.

(Place the stress anywhere; it'll still make sense. I'm not telling where it was meant to be in case I get suspended.)

lamfo Thundergod, I like that idea. I think for full effect I should take one of my attractive friends thats a girl and tell her to bring some of her friends.

lamfo rybass yea no kinding there was one getty lee bass on the wall and 5 mim basses. If I were mean I wouldnt mind spending $450 on a butt wooping. I would never pete townsen a nice bass.

I think slap is overrated. It's kind of like tapping on a guitar.

I used to play upright in my high school and college jazz bands. My favorite bass style is a hip walk or a feisty uptempo swing groove.

If you can play jazz and hold down the beat (the bassist holds the time in jazz bands) then you can play anything on the bass.

yea I know what you mean, I play Jazz at college. My favorite is bossa nova I like that alot. We def. have to keep time.

on a side note.

I like your Rico Is it for sale. Ill trade some illegal drugs for it

haha jk but seriously

If slap Bass is good enough for Seinfeld then its good enough for me.

Im sorry to break your heart but the seinfeld was not even played on a bass. It was played on a eletric piano.

Yea I know

Im sorry to break your heart but the seinfeld was not even played on a bass. It was played on a eletric piano.

Yea I know

As long as were being picky.....Its Geddy....not Getty.

Yea I know

:)

Well I still love it.

well its not even geddy or getty

its gary lee weinrib

lol :-k

Its ok to be picky

Ok, then it should be

It's ok to be picky.

Its=possessive

It's=It is