Gibson Brands Forums

Slap bass vs regular bass

Basshole

I was at GC the other day' date=' trying out some Getty Lee Jazz Basses. I was playing through a small combo on low just minding my own business. Playing the solo parts from YYZ from rush. Then some other fellows came in and herd what I was playing. They found a rig and started playing slap funk bass so loud that the snare drums were rattling in the other department across the store.

Then they said to me

"that anit no bass playin, you shure your a bass player"

Now I like funk bass its cool, I can kinda do it but its not my cup tea. I personally kinda dislike it because the drums are supposed to keep the beat and the bass to keep the rythem not the other way around. <<dont get this part twisted please.

What are your guys take on slap bass?[/quote']

I've had guys try to "Out Play" me at Guitar Center, I'll usually try to Play with them. Like find a Rhythm for the "Lead" they're playing, or if they're power chording, I'll do a "Lead" to it. Then when I hand it off to them, they stop and pretend like they didn't try to "Show Me Up" or whatever thier little Pissing Match was supposed to do. Dissapointing Sons-of-*****es. Just once would I like to actually get in a Jam with someone at Guitar Center

As far as slap Bass goes, it's a technique every bass player might as well know how to do, but if that's all they do they suck. Technical Proficiency aside, They Straight Up Suck. If that's all they do, the bottom of the song is gone. It's like a Drummer who won't play on the beat or a Guitarist who never playes a rhythm. Take Les Claypool. He slaps all day long, But he keeps the Bottom End moving the whole time.

As far as slap Bass goes' date=' it's a technique every bass player might as well know how to do, but if that's all they do they suck. Technical Proficiency aside, They Straight Up Suck. If that's all they do, the bottom of the song is gone. It's like a Drummer who won't play on the beat or a Guitarist who never playes a rhythm. Take Les Claypool. He slaps all day long, But he keeps the Bottom End moving the whole time.[/quote']

+1

drums keep the beat

bassist keeps the rythem

guitarist keeps the melody

and then everybody does a little number to chop up a song

I know how to do it, but its not what I specialize in. I think it's important to learn as many diffrent styles as possible in anything you do. it helps me come up with more bass licks.

+1

drums keep the beat

bassist keeps the rythem

guitarist keeps the melody

and then everybody does a little number to chop up a song

I know how to do it' date=' but its not what I specialize in. I think it's important to learn as many diffrent styles as possible in anything you do. it helps me come up with more bass licks. [/quote']

Yeah, no matter what instrument you're learning or playing, it's a good idea to check out everything it does.

Archived