Gibson Brands Forums

J-200 Truss rod won’t give more neck relief

Hey everyone.  I purchased a 1992 Black Gibson  J-200. It was my uncles who never played it and kept in in the case the last 30 years.  The sound is amazing but  I have some buss on the D and G.  The action is a lot lower than what I’m used to.  I sometimes like to hammer down on some songs and when I play leads on these two string there  is some unwanted buzz.  I adjusted the truss rod by turning counter clockwise in small increments.  But it seems I don’t have any further to go.  The nut seems to have stopped and I’m afraid to turn it any more.  I also tried adding medium strings.  Is there any harm in trying to loosen the truss rod more even though it feels like doing so is really difficult and not easy to move.  I have heard of tightening it too far but not loosening.  It has the hex head nut at the top.  Any advice would be really appreciated! 

CB7C498A-F32C-40CA-9421-C3DE3517E671.jpeg

how many turns have you tried?  shouldn't really be looking to do much more than 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn on the truss rod.  Normal adjustments are never much more than that in fact, usually 1/4 to 1/2 turn.   I'm no expert but that looks like it's all the way loosened/extended?

IMHO..  Those nut slots look like they have either worn too deep or maybe were cut too deep at some point  At least that's what I can glean from the photo.  That would cause the kind of buzzing you're trying to solve.

maybe it's due for a visit to reputable setup tech?

Good luck,, oh and welcome to the forum