Gibson Brands Forums

Help! Urgent! Buying an SG tonight

Robbie1299

I'm meeting a guy tonight to buy the exact guitar listed below. He said it's stock with no alterations. But it has Kluson tuners. It looks like they're the cheap variety (also linked below). I emailed him and he said that the tuners came stock. Is this true. Is there anything else I should be looking for? It looks like it's a 2002. If I took off the pick guard and looked at the pickups, how can I tell if they are the originals?

charlottesville.craigslist.org/msg/d/covesville-gibson-sg-with-tkl-hard-case/7244058450.html

stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/tuning-machines/solid-peghead-guitar-tuning-machines/kluson-3-and-3-deluxe-series-tuning-machines.html

SG 1.jpg

SG 2.jpg

Edited by Robbie1299

1 hour ago, Robbie1299 said:

He's telling me that the ones that say Gibson are only on the more expensive models, and that the lower models come with stock Kluson-branded tuners.

Well that doesnt sound right..  The one on Reverb has Gibson Deluxe and I just had a look at my 2011 60s Tribute LP and its also got the Gibson ones..

Soo...

This is my one

7uUvdwE.jpg

WsmzCQm.jpg

Edited by Rabs

They normally say “Gibson Deluxe” and not just on higher end models. I do not think these tuners are original to the guitar but they are a quality replacement part 

afaik the Gibson Deluxe tuners are made by Grover so you will pretty much never see a Gibson with stock tuners that say Kluson on them

6 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

They normally say “Gibson Deluxe” and not just on higher end models. I do not think these tuners are original to the guitar but they are a quality replacement part 

afaik the Gibson Deluxe tuners are made by Grover so you will pretty much never see a Gibson with stock tuners that say Kluson on them

Wrong. My 2014 SGJ has Kluson Deluxe tuners.  Says so right on the tuners. I bought it new from Sweetwater. I’ve seen others as well. 
And btw , mine work just well as the “Gibson Deluxe” tuners on my LP.  In fact they look and operate exactly alike. 

Edited by brad1

3 hours ago, brad1 said:

Wrong. My 2014 SGJ has Kluson Deluxe tuners.  Says so right on the tuners. I bought it new from Sweetwater. I’ve seen others as well. 
And btw , mine work just well as the “Gibson Deluxe” tuners on my LP.  In fact they look and operate exactly alike. 

Wow that’s interesting that Gibson mix and match parts like that. Must have been due to availability at the time or something. Thanks for the correction anyway 

• Like 1

Gibsons come with Kluson style tuners, either Gibson Deluxe or Kluson Deluxe installed at the factory and usually considered interchangeable.

Kluson was the original patent holder that Gibson purchased from.

Edited by mihcmac