Gibson Brands Forums

ZAPPA

Sgt. Pepper

I’ve never listened to one of his songs when I was growing up in the sixties. I don’t think I would had heard of him if not mentioned in Smoke On The Water. I grew up in Cincinnati and only one FM station played the non pop stuff like Zappa, Dead, Country Joe, James Gang, ...,,,

It was a while before I got an FM radio and by that time I was deep into Country. 
Maybe I need to go back and listen to him. There’s quite a few artist I’ve went back and listened to from the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s that I have gained a respect for (musically). 

54 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I’ve never listened to one of his songs when I was growing up in the sixties. I don’t think I would had heard of him if not mentioned in Smoke On The Water. I grew up in Cincinnati and only one FM station played the non pop stuff like Zappa, Dead, Country Joe, James Gang, ...,,,

It was a while before I got an FM radio and by that time I was deep into Country. 
Maybe I need to go back and listen to him. There’s quite a few artist I’ve went back and listened to from the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s that I have gained a respect for (musically). 

If you want guidance on what us Zappa nuts consider his required music there are many here who listen to him and will help you out.

I would start with Apostrophe, Hot Rats, One Size Fits All, Joe'e Garage, Zoot Allures, Uncle Meat, We're Only In It For The Money, and maybe Ship Arriving Too Late. That will give you stuff from the 60's, 70's and 80's. We as Zappa fans all have our own personal favorites and other may suggest different ones. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If you want guidance on what us Zappa nuts consider his required music there are many here who listen to him and will help you out.

I would start with Apostrophe, Hot Rats, One Size Fits All, Joe'e Garage, Zoot Allures, Uncle Meat, We're Only In It For The Money, and maybe Ship Arriving Too Late. That will give you stuff from the 60's, 70's and 80's. We as Zappa fans all have our own personal favorites and other may suggest different ones. 

Think the list misses Over-Nite Sensation 

59 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If you just can't stay in his vibe, listen to U2 they may be more your thing.

😆 Thanx, Sarge, thanx.

Again - respect the U2-organism and their long trail. I actually saw them live a smaller place before they got real big. Must have been between October and War.                                                                                                                              Still can't stay with them too long. 

Ouuhhh, also saw them much later in a hall so warm that everybody present, stage and floor, was soaking wet before the concert even took off.                                                                                                                   Must say the start of Where The Streets Have No Name, , , and the rest of the song for that matter was one of the strongest rock moments ever experienced here. . 

Ouhh again - allow me to test your intuitive imagination.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Had Zappa chosen to once in a while play an acoustic, would it have been a G or a M ?  (don't say Gretsch or Ovation)                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Which model and why, , , everybody can participate. I never gave it a thought -  ain't got a clue.

4 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Ouhh again - allow me to test your intuitive imagination.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Had Zappa chosen to once in a while play an acoustic, would it have been a G or a M ?  (don't say Gretsch or Ovation)                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Which model and why, , , everybody can participate. I never gave it a thought -  ain't got a clue.

Martin D-18S 12 fret

zappa-w-guitar-2.jpg

• Thanks 1

Ouuhhh #3 - And if I was to hit the town with Zappa, we'd go over midnite for sure and there in a deep corner of some bar while taking a break, I'd say :
Frankly, Frank, , , forget the mind-armour, relax and open up. As long as you can't roll  an honest tear over a country ballad, you're an underdeveloped person. 

And he would probably leave, , , and I would probably not care. . 

Edited by E-minor7

13 hours ago, littlejohnny said:

Oh, this Zappa guy is one hot looking dude,  but I do not want to hear words or lyrics coming out of his mouth.

I like women so he's not what I'm looking for. 

He has lots of people sing that were under his employ. Its not always Frank. I don't think he has a great voice. I prefer, Napoleon or Ike (The Thing-Fish) or Ray White and even Flo and Eddie.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

11 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

😆 Thanx, Sarge, thanx.

Again - respect the U2-organism and their long trail. I actually saw them live a smaller place before they got real big. Must have been between October and War.                                                                                                                              Still can't stay with them too long. 

Ouuhhh, also saw them much later in a hall so warm that everybody present, stage and floor, was soaking wet before the concert even took off.                                                                                                                   Must say the start of Where The Streets Have No Name, , , and the rest of the song for that matter was one of the strongest rock moments ever experienced here. . 

Over-Nite is a classic too.

20 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

😆 Thanx, Sarge, thanx.

War is the only album by them I can stomach. Boy and October I have not heard since my college days and I remember not caring for those two.  After War, I got bored with them any by the time Joshua Tree came out you could not escape them on the radio or MTV.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

The pic of Frank with a Martin and the classical guitar are the only photos I've seen of Frank with an acoustic. The one with a classical guitar is for a photo shoot.

He's even dressed up nice in the photo with the classical guitar for littlejohhny who thinks he's one hot looking dude.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Ouuhhh #3 - And if I was to hit the town with Zappa, we'd go over midnite for sure and there in a deep corner of some bar while taking a break, I'd say :
Frankly, Frank, , , forget the mind-armour, relax and open up. As long as you can't roll  an honest tear over a country ballad, you're an underdeveloped person. 

And he would probably leave, , , and I would probably not care. . 

Once again I need an interpreter for what you typed

59 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The pic of Frank with a Martin and the classical guitar are the only photos I've seen of Frank with an acoustic. The one with a classical guitar is for a photo shoot.

He's even dressed up nice in the photo with the classical guitar for littlejohhny who thinks he's one hot looking dude.

Is there a song of Frank Zappa that a acoustic guitar can be used?

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Once again I need an interpreter for what you typed

draoB siht EVOl I

50 minutes ago, Raul Rehlmann said:

Guess no, not really - it would kind of drain his tunes wouldn't it. 

Still I hear a strummed Hummingbird here and there in this one - 

1 minute ago, Raul Rehlmann said:

I do not hear much of the Humingbird in the song

Maybe Sgt Peper has one of Frank Zappa he plays on the acoustic?

Ouhh, , , it's not there - t'was an imagination.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Yes, Pepper may know better. 

13 hours ago, Raul Rehlmann said:

I do not hear much of the Humingbird in the song

Maybe Sgt Peper has one of Frank Zappa he plays on the acoustic?

There is probably some acoustic (maybe on Sofa, I just listened to the album last week on the way to work) on One Size Fits All. What guitar he plays on it I have no clue. I'm a huge fan, but don't know everything about ever second of Franks career.

I have the tab book of the whole album at home and I can see what it saysfor the guitar parts in the songs. It wont tell me brand but it does say if there is an electric or acoustic for the guitar part.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

16 hours ago, Raul Rehlmann said:

How about this its called Sleep Dirt from the album of the same name. I'm sure you guys will say its a Gibson. I have no idea what brand they are playing.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I’ve had conversations off and on with people during the years trying to explain how Zappa was a jazz musician.  As well as how there were real similarities sometimes between John Cage’s experimental music and his.   Some understand.   But, often Frank Zappa’s comical music ventures throws them off, although it helped pay the bills.  Although all agree that Zappa did a great job doing pop music when his iconic pop song  “Dancing Fool” was a big hit on the pop charts.

Regarding my comment regarding Zappa’s similarity to John Cage, here’s a very cool video of a young Frank Zappa on the Steve Allen Show...doing some extremely experimental music that is the along the likes of John Cage.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark
  • Like 1