Gibson Brands Forums

Truss rod cover screw size

maller

51 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

In my experience, Gibson uses #2 x 1/4"  for their truss rod covers. 

The ones for their pick guards are slightly larger, #3 x 3/8".

Allparts has never steered me wrong. 

https://www.allparts.com/collections/screws

😐

Sparquelito, thanks.  That size seems to be the most popular.  But, I went to order them on Amazon, and the manufacturer notes says this about #2 x 1/4 - “These screws are not the size used by Gibson on Gibson guitars and are slightly smaller.”

52 minutes ago, maller said:

Sparquelito, thanks.  That size seems to be the most popular.  But, I went to order them on Amazon, and the manufacturer notes says this about #2 x 1/4 - “These screws are not the size used by Gibson on Gibson guitars and are slightly smaller.”

I have a minute before I go to work. 

I'll pull some from my Fender, Gretsch, Ibanez, and Gibsons, and compare. 

Will get right back with you. 

🙂

Ha, dummy me. 
My Fenders don't have truss rod covers. 

I compared truss rod screws from two Gibsons, my BC Rich Mockingbird, an Ibanez Artcore, Gretsch, and an ESP LTD. 

The Gibsons and BC Rich were #2 x 1/4", and the rest were smaller in shank diameter, and slightly longer in screw length. The Gretsch was the finest and longest. 

I would have taken a photo of them side by side, but I didn't want to mix them up or lose them, transferring them from the music room to my plain white kitchen counter. 

I believe that you will be happy with the #2 x 1/4" screws for your Gibson. 

😉

• Like 1

I think you can find several 'small screw assortment' packages on Amazon, as Sparky noted. We ordered one to find a replacements for eyeglasses.  I think a dozen different sizes - hundreds of screws for $5 or something.   Just be careful you don't drop them on the garage floor when you try to pry off the top.  This assumes you have an official Gibson TRC screw to compare something to .  

• Sad 1