Gibson Brands Forums

There are few things better than Sheryl Crow on a Gibson... except

MorrisrownSal

46 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

Not a fan but I'd take that Wurlitzer 200.

Agreed. I like a song or two. Greatest Mistake I like, and Leaving Las Vegas. I think the only other two I know or can name is All I Wanna Do Is Have Some Fun, and Soak Up The Sun.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

A little unclear on the concept presented here.

So now part of the decision on whether one likes a particular musician and their work is the brand of guitar they use?

Seriously??????

I've never heard anyone ever kvetch that they would have liked C.S.&N. and their music much better if only they had been playing Gibsons instead of Martins. 

The brand of guitar being played by any musician other than me is completely immaterial to my like, dislike or enjoyment of them or their work.

RBSinTo

2 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

So now part of the decision on whether one likes a particular musician and their work is the brand of guitar they use?

Seriously??????

I've never heard anyone ever kvetch that they would have liked C.S.&N. and their music much better if only they had been playing Gibsons instead of Martins. 

The brand of guitar being played by any musician other than me is completely immaterial to my like, dislike or enjoyment of them or their work.

RBSinTo

You can't tune a J-45 EEEEbe, it would self implode. That is why Stills did it on a Martin D-45. I remember Nash in a interview say when they all got their advances for the first album they all went out and bought Martin D-45's.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, RBSinTo said:

Seriously??????

RBSinTo

I don't think that was the idea at all.

Sometimes, you associate a particular artist with a particular type of guitar or guitars at points in their careers. Think of Chuck Berry with his ES 345/355, Lennon with a J-160E, McGuinn with his Rick 360 12 string,  the young James Taylor with his mid-50s J-50, McCartney with a Hofner bass, Clapton with the Crossroads cherry ES-335 or with Blackie, Clarence White with the D-28 with the enlarged soundhole,  Croz with a series of Martin rosewood dreads, and on and on and on.

So it is with Sheryl Crow and her original square-dread  CW.

A lot of us pay attention to the guitars people play.  That doesn't mean we wouldn't  like their work if they played guitars other that our preferred brands. But yes, I like to see and artist play a guitar like mine. 

I remember when I first saw James Taylor in the spring of 1969, with me sitting on the grass in front of him no more than 10' away. He pulled out that old J-50 and I thought "whoa, he plays a guitar like mine!"  My next thought was "why doesn't my guitar sound like that?"

20 minutes ago, j45nick said:

Sometimes, you associate a particular artist with a particular type of guitar or guitars at points in their careers. Think of Chuck Berry with his ES 345/355, Lennon with a J-160E, McGuinn with his Rick 360 12 string,  the young James Taylor with his mid-50s J-50, McCartney with a Hofner bass, Clapton with the Crossroads cherry ES-335 or with Blackie, Clarence White with the D-28 with the enlarged soundhole,  Croz with a series of Martin rosewood dreads, and on and on and on.

A lot of us pay attention to the guitars people play.  That doesn't mean we wouldn't  like their work if they played guitars other that our preferred brands. But yes, I like to see and artist play a guitar like mine. 

I remember when I first saw James Taylor in the spring of 1969, with me sitting on the grass in front of him no more than 10' away. He pulled out that old J-50 and I thought "whoa, he plays a guitar like mine!"  My next thought was "why doesn't my guitar sound like that?"

j45nick,

I absolutely do.

I play the guitars I play because I like the way they sound when I play them, and not because this or that artist also plays them.

I'm a big enough boy to make my own decisions on instruments and don't need reassurance that I made a good choice just because some pro musician also uses them. Nor do I care.

However I get the impression from this thread that many of the posters rationalize their instrument choices based on what this pro or that uses or used, as if that matters.

I suppose to them it does.

I have no need to follow suit.

RBSinTo

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You can't tune a J-45 EEEEbe, it would self implode. That is why Stills did it on a Martin D-45. I remember Nash in a interview say when they all got their advances for the first album they all went out and bought Martin D-45's.

Neil Young has an amused look as he's being handed a SJ-200 in a sea of D-45's.

eNrYlGUh.jpg

Love the video. Thanks for sharing it.

An an anecdote about those CSN D-45s.  At the second Fretboard Summit hosted by Fretboard Journal, David Crosby brought his D-45. He left it in a room for everyone attending to play. A very cool experience.

27 minutes ago, jt said:

Love the video. Thanks for sharing it.

An an anecdote about those CSN D-45s.  At the second Fretboard Summit hosted by Fretboard Journal, David Crosby brought his D-45. He left it in a room for everyone attending to play. A very cool experience.

Nice. Was this before or after he gave up doing bad things?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 hours ago, j45nick said:

The text above sums up a lot of guitar-culture. 

But RBSinTo - it's not necessary to copy or get 'verified' by the pro'n'famous. Just an entertaining little game to hear how they treat their versions of the instrument, , , and which sounds they get out of it. I never try to reproduce an acoustic voice from my record-collection - and as a late teen CSN&Y fan first chose Gibson.                                                                                                                                                                               Then when goin' Mart over 10 summers later a D-35 - a model which never made it inside their camp. 

6 hours ago, j45nick said:

He pulled out that old J-50 and I thought "whoa, he plays a guitar like mine!"  My next thought was "why doesn't my guitar sound like that?"

And now after all these years the answer must fall : Good Taylor played an adjustable rosewood sadle. You, young Nick, played conventionally sized bone. 

13 hours ago, EuroAussie said:

Its this one that was always the 'referance point' to SC ... Her CW and how it sounds on this top track, wanst it Em7 ?

As we know that 1962 fixed bridge CW has it - and the E-minor goin' to E-minor7 by 2:56 shows it big time. 
Wasn't from there I took my moliker though.

Cheers ^ E-minor7