Gibson Brands Forums

Rattle Pickup selector switch - Middle position

Hello,

I'm the proud owner of a 2020 Gibson Custom Shop ES-335.  I noticed a rattle (see/hear on video attached) that comes from the pickup selector switch when left in the middle position.  The rattle goes away when engaged in either neck or bridge or if I put my finger on the toggle stick switch.  It stops vibrating.  Any ideas on how to get that fixed?

image.thumb.png.485c6d1964d21a34698a38492d64326c.png

I have a rattle on my ES-175 toggle switch in centre position, but mine isn't nearly as bad as yours.

The only thing to do would be to unscrew the surround and carefully get the switch out via the f-hole; it won't come out through the hole I don't think.

Then have a fiddle with it - got any small needle-nose pliers? You may be able to crimp the metal 'leaves' either side to hold it tighter, but beware as that may not be the source of the noise and you could easily make things worse.

If you decide to buy a new one - Switchcraft, but you need to get the right length one.

I decided to live with mine as the only time I hear  it is if playing unplugged. 

I googled -

And -

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&ei=ZtzbX4TILY-ugQaAu5mICA&q=gibson+ES+toggle+switch+rattle&oq=gibson+ES+toggle+switch+rattle&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzoECAAQRzoICAAQCBAHEB46BggAEAgQHjoJCAAQyQMQFhAeOgUIIRCgAToECCEQFToHCCEQChCgAVCvUljdd2DjfGgAcAF4AIABZogBowaSAQM5LjGYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6yAEIwAEB&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwiEk7v-iNbtAhUPV8AKHYBdBoEQ4dUDCAw&uact=5

Good luck!

Edited by jdgm

• 2 months later...
On 12/17/2020 at 3:52 PM, AlexRivet said:

Hello,

I'm the proud owner of a 2020 Gibson Custom Shop ES-335.  I noticed a rattle (see/hear on video attached) that comes from the pickup selector switch when left in the middle position.  The rattle goes away when engaged in either neck or bridge or if I put my finger on the toggle stick switch.  It stops vibrating.  Any ideas on how to get that fixed?

image.thumb.png.485c6d1964d21a34698a38492d64326c.png

MiddlePositionRattle.mov

I just bought a ES335 also, it does the same exact thing.  Any ideas on how to fix it ?

• 2 months later...

Replace the switch with a branded Switchcraft switch.  Keep the Gibson switch for future sales if desired. These are parts that aren’t scrutinized as badly as other parts as they are considered consumables. 

Switchcraft is the company who designed the selector switches and their product is superior to other switches.  It’s worth the 30 you’ll spend on it. It will last forever if you are not regularly gigging.  If so it’ll last you at minimum 7-10 years of nighty performances as long as you aren’t a sweating beast like some of us.