Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG Goddess purple burst, mint condition: how much is it worth?

evilid

Hi everybody, 

I have a Gibson SG Goddess in the purple burst colour, used only a few times, in mint/near mint condition. 

I was thinking about selling it and buying a  wonderful Les Paul Classic that I prefer, but I found that Goddess was only produced for a year and that probably there are few in the world in mint condition. I would not like to sell it cheaply, taken by the enthusiasm of replacing it with a Les Paul, only to regret it, since it is probably more rare and precious. 

I would like to know:

1) is it possible to know how many SG Goddess have been produced (maybe even in this colour)?

2) how much could it be sold for?

3) is it advisable to keep it for another 10-20 years to increase its value? 

Thanks 

20201122_150420_copy_1470x3024.jpg

20201122_154031_copy_3024x1470.jpg

20201122_152706_copy_1470x2705.jpg

20201122_151859_copy_1196x2882.jpg

That's pretty cool! I've never heard of that run but i like it and definitely seems like something that will be collectable a long time from now. Reminds me of the Gretsch Princess, which was a similar vibe back in the early 60s. That said if the guitar you want requires you to sell it, you're not really in a position to have this sit under the bed hoping it will gain value. Those Gretsch's are 60 years old, sold for a couple hundred bucks and maybe like $2k-2500 realistically today. I'd say get the guitar you want to play and don't worry too much about guitars as collectors items unless you have the cash to treat them like investments (aka not touch them). 

1 hour ago, cunningham26 said:

That's pretty cool! I've never heard of that run but i like it and definitely seems like something that will be collectable a long time from now. Reminds me of the Gretsch Princess, which was a similar vibe back in the early 60s. That said if the guitar you want requires you to sell it, you're not really in a position to have this sit under the bed hoping it will gain value. Those Gretsch's are 60 years old, sold for a couple hundred bucks and maybe like $2k-2500 realistically today. I'd say get the guitar you want to play and don't worry too much about guitars as collectors items unless you have the cash to treat them like investments (aka not touch them). 

That's true, if I play it probably it won't be mint anymore. But probably Gibson has a greater interest in collectors, rather than Gretsch. I'd like to know how many SG Goddess guitars have been produced, but it seems impossible to find information on this model. 

19 hours ago, Cam in alberta said:

sell it for as much as you can get for it ( lots of them out there  )

I think that I'll wait. From the information I have found (unfortunately all official advertising is unavailable and Gibson website has no info about this model), only 500 were produced, I think 100 in each colour. 

I think that this colour is the best among Goddess ones, and probably the most desirable (even if they were discontinued because there was no interest in 2006 for a bad advertised "guitar for women" that obviously is not for women but for everyone who likes it). 

I'll decide a reasonably high price and I'll wait to see if some collector is interested, otherwise (and in the meantime) I'll play and enjoy (I only play in my room and I should not damage it). There are a lot of Les Paul out there, I think that I'll miss the train of this one and I'll wait. I prefer LP but I like my SG. When I discovered that it was discontinued and rare, I became more confused between selling at a higher price (higher than the price tag) and keeping like a small treasure. I'll wait and see, without rushing. 

Edited by evilid