Gibson Brands Forums

Which choice between these two J-200s?

Zob Bimmerman

50 minutes ago, 62burst said:

A bit confused, here- you’re looking to commit to the purchase online, pay & collect in person?   Is this due to a concern that it might sell before you get to try it out? Have you had phone conversations with the seller(s) yet? That’s usually the best way to get an idea of what you’re getting into, and with whom.

Sorry - I didn’t explain that fully. Neither seller wants to courier, and the Historic seller wants cash. 

If I were a bit younger, freer and madder, I’d probably pilgrimage, at great expense of time and money, to both over the course of two days to try them both out. But I’m hoping that if I do the ‘due diligence’, seek and follow the right advice, and collaborate with the vendor on checking it over,  I could rule out one and collect the other in person, thus saving myself one of the journeys.

What do you think? Is there a better way to approach this..?

1 hour ago, Jinder said:

I'm sure the seller will furnish you with pics for more evidence.

I really hope so. I’m still waiting for these quite specific videos to come through... A mix of xmas chaos and the chore of filming has no doubt slowed things down. I know that I must ask these things of them but I do worry that I come across as demanding and, frankly, a ballache of a buyer!

4 hours ago, Zob Bimmerman said:

Sorry - I didn’t explain that fully. Neither seller wants to courier, and the Historic seller wants cash. 

If I were a bit younger, freer and madder, I’d probably pilgrimage, at great expense of time and money, to both over the course of two days to try them both out. But I’m hoping that if I do the ‘due diligence’, seek and follow the right advice, and collaborate with the vendor on checking it over,  I could rule out one and collect the other in person, thus saving myself one of the journeys.

What do you think? Is there a better way to approach this..?

I really hope so. I’m still waiting for these quite specific videos to come through... A mix of xmas chaos and the chore of filming has no doubt slowed things down. I know that I must ask these things of them but I do worry that I come across as demanding and, frankly, a ballache of a buyer!

Zob Bimmerman,

This isn't a $20.00 purchase, so I don't think you are being unreasonable or too demanding. Additionally, with the current economic situation being what it is, I doubt that either seller has a long line of prospective buyers banging down his door, so you probably will have more leverage with respect to information requested before buying.

RBSinTo

12 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

This isn't a $20.00 purchase, so I don't think you are being unreasonable or too demanding. Additionally, with the current economic situation being what it is, I doubt that either seller has a long line of prospective buyers banging down his door, so you probably will have more leverage with respect to information requested before buying.

This is a reassuring and realistic review of the situation. Thank you, RBSinTo.

11 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

I was going to offer to check one or both out if they were anywhere near me

The generosity on this forum is unique! Thank you, Brucebubs - I fully appreciate the thought 😊 

On 12/22/2020 at 2:07 PM, 62burst said:

not kept in the case👎🏼

While I wait for vids and pics from the sellers, I’ve gone back over this thread to digest some of the other advice. This from 62burst caught my attention again as I usually keep my guitars on wall hangers in the studio. Will this practice need to change once I get the Jumbo? Is this issue to do with temperature?

Some of my acoustic guitars are inexpensive workhorses which I don’t always record with, but I do also have a lovely Martin mahogany parlour which sees a lot of mic action. When I’m absent, the temperature of the room might drop to 15 degrees celsius in winter, and during use in summer it can hit 25 degrees c. Should I therefore be storing this guitar - and eventually the Jumbo - in its hard case when not in use? 

I’ve always considered electric guitars to be generally more resilient, hence why I haven’t questioned their storage, but is this also negligent? I’m mindful that it’s a balance of practicality and safety: the wall hangers create more space and make instrument-use immediate which is conducive to workflow and creativity; but am I shooting myself in the foot, longterm...?

29 minutes ago, Zob Bimmerman said:

. . .  I usually keep my guitars on wall hangers in the studio. Will this practice need to change once I get the Jumbo? Is this issue to do with temperature?

A quality, calibrated cigar case style hygrometer should tell you if it's a safe place to keep your guitars out; anywhere around 45% RH & you're fine. Just don't have your guitar hangers on an exterior wall. 

LM14nMT.png

The above case shown in the background of guitar #2 was looked closely at because when I asked about the case of the last Little Guitar I got in, the owner, living in Florida, told me he'd have to go out back and get it. . . it was in the SHED. One of the nice things about a maple guitar- the internals can be a thing of beauty, all of the maple and bracing. Sometimes when kept out for a long time,  it shows, where tonewood meets bracing.

On guitar #1, the one you're leaning toward, is that just a reflection in the upper bout, bass side? :

T4TISXA.png

4 hours ago, 62burst said:

the owner, living in Florida, told me he'd have to go out back and get it. . . it was in the SHED.

Jeepers! I’d say I’m within the realms of acceptable storage then. Your advise about avoiding external walls is great - duly noted.

It turns out that the Historic I’m leaning towards is also on eBay. I’d first contacted each seller after seeing both Historic and Standard on Facebook Marketplace - a platform which has worked best for me in recent years.

Re. possible reflection on upper bout of the Historic, here’s the link for the ad so you can see all the pictures :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-sj-200-Electro-Acoustic-Guitar-/114435765772?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

And for fair comparison, here’s the Facebook Marketplace ad for the Standard (it just might not be accessible if you’re overseas?):

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/838686896865527/

Feels wise to share in an honourable space such as this. FWIW I’m hoping to negotiate on the price 🤞

• Both sellers yet to send  videos. 
• Both want cash on collection.

Edited by Zob Bimmerman
Missing info

45 minutes ago, Zob Bimmerman said:

Jeepers! I’d say I’m within the realms of acceptable storage then. Your advise about avoiding external walls is great - duly noted.

It turns out that the Historic I’m leaning towards is also on eBay. I’d first contacted each seller after seeing both Historic and Standard on Facebook Marketplace - a platform which has worked best for me in recent years.

Re. possible reflection on upper bout of the Historic, here’s the link for the ad so you can see all the pictures :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-sj-200-Electro-Acoustic-Guitar-/114435765772?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

And for fair comparison, here’s the Facebook Marketplace ad for the Standard (it just might not be accessible if you’re overseas?):

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/838686896865527/

Feels wise to share in an honourable space such as this. FWIW I’m hoping to negotiate on the price 🤞

• Both sellers yet to send  videos. 
• Both want cash on collection.

Can’t get the Facebook listing I don’t have an account. Wish the label could be seen better in the other. Not a big deal, the guitar looks beautiful! Is there a way to contact the seller other than through eBay? If so, I’ve made offers before, where I’ve offered to buy the guitar, if they would be willing to drop the fees, that eBay charges the seller. Not sure what those are these days? It could lower the price by a couple of hundred $, or so. The seller was asking $1500 for my J-45 Rosewood. I was able to get it for $1400, & the seller got the same money he would have gotten anyway. I’m pretty sure eBay charges a little more than 10% these days, plus they have listing fees now!

The facebook ad for the Standard is showing that it's no longer available- at least that's what it's saying in the U.S. 

Kinda usual to not include a photo of the '200's bound headstock in the listing for the Historic- it's a great Gibson look. Photo 5 is a great camera angle that provides a lot of info- saddle height, maybe string height over the fretboard extension, the dramatic maple figuring on the sides (even though there might be some lacquer crazing near the binding, not a deal breaker at all), and the binding on the neck makes it a little easier to get an idea of it's flatness.  The spruce top has a nice cross-silking. . . the guitar probably sounds great. The 3 piece neck has a great flamey look up towards, and at, the headstock.  The pickguard is worn fairly even along it's length- usually the wear is just in one spot- the guitar's sound has probably opened up nicely.

13 minutes ago, Paul14 said:

Can’t get the Facebook listing I don’t have an account. Wish the label could be seen better in the other. Not a big deal, the guitar looks beautiful! . . .

Might be good to go the FB route- especially since you'd be able to collect the guitar in person. eBay does offer good protections, usually favoring the buyer. Just give the guitar a good test drive, and maybe a mirror and light to have a look around inside.

20 minutes ago, 62burst said:

The facebook ad for the Standard is showing that it's no longer available- at least that's what it's saying in the U.S. 

Kinda usual to not include a photo of the '200's bound headstock in the listing for the Historic- it's a great Gibson look. Photo 5 is a great camera angle that provides a lot of info- saddle height, maybe string height over the fretboard extension, the dramatic maple figuring on the sides (even though there might be some lacquer crazing near the binding, not a deal breaker at all), and the binding on the neck makes it a little easier to get an idea of it's flatness.  The spruce top has a nice cross-silking. . . the guitar probably sounds great. The 3 piece neck has a great flamey look up towards, and at, the headstock.  The pickguard is worn fairly even along it's length- usually the wear is just in one spot- the guitar's sound has probably opened up nicely.

Might be good to go the FB route- especially since you'd be able to collect the guitar in person. eBay does offer good protections, usually favoring the buyer. Just give the guitar a good test drive, and maybe a mirror and light to have a look around inside.

PayPal offers good protections too. If you have an account. The guy could send you an invoice.

Edited by Paul14

45 minutes ago, Paul14 said:

Is there a way to contact the seller other than through eBay?

So the original listing for the Historic that I’m leaning towards is on Facebook Marketplace and it’s for £2,550. This is where I first came across it, instead of £2,600 on eBay - and this  difference must be to reflect eBay’s fees, as you mentioned, Paul. 

Weirdly, the eBay listing contains more photos but the same casual-style description. I see that the seller has sold other decent guitars and has positive feedback, but I have my doubts as to whether he is a J200 aficionado. He doesn’t seem to have poured over the details in his description. Ironically, maybe I’m reading too much into it!

24 minutes ago, 62burst said:

This is very positive feedback, 62! I’d made contact with the seller on ‘Messenger’ chat (via Facebook Marketplace) and am yet to learn any more other other than that it is still available. He has my email and phone number. I can only presume/hope that, being Christmas, he is busy..?

7 minutes ago, Paul14 said:

PayPal offers good protections too. If you have an account. The guy could send you an invoice.

I wish this was an option. Both sellers are old-school: cash on collection, no refund. Such stipulations do narrow their market as both sellers aren’t exactly in major towns or cities, so I guess fewer people will be enquiring?

Thinking about it though, I would  ideally like an invoice as it’d be a work-related expense which saves on the tax front!

2 minutes ago, Zob Bimmerman said:

I wish this was an option. Both sellers are old-school: cash on collection, no refund. Such stipulations do narrow their market as both sellers aren’t exactly in major towns or cities, so I guess fewer people will be enquiring?

Thinking about it though, I would  ideally like an invoice as it’d be a work-related expense which saves on the tax front!

He excepts PayPal on the eBay listing, as well as credit cards? Don’t see why you couldn’t get some kind of documentation?

Just now, Paul14 said:

He excepts PayPal on the eBay listing, as well as credit cards? Don’t see why you couldn’t get some kind of documentation?

It’s weird because his description asks for cash only? He mentions is three times: “cash on pick up only no postage cash only made in USA 2002/3 cash only

If he’d get back to me I could feel it out - have a chat on the phone!

Not sure where you’re located, but about 20 years ago, I sold a Rosewood southern Jumbo to a guy in Denmark, for $2,000 just charged actually shipping,,,$500.00 then he had to pay duty. $500.00. $3,000 for a $2,000 guitar. He was delirious!! I still get emails occasionally from the guy, & he still loves the guitar.

20 minutes ago, Paul14 said:

Not sure where you’re located

I’m in London, UK, where everything is a bit more expensive, but the seller is in a regional northern town, the kind where most things are slightly cheaper. Given the national (global?) recession, I’m just trying to work out what I could offer without being offensive, ie what’s a fair price all things considered...? 🤔 

Your buyer in Denmark clearly just had to have your guitar, which is a lovely outcome. I’d struggle to enjoy something that I’d paid over the odds for, but only because music producers don’t get paid like they used to! 

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year, troubadours!

I hope you all had a wonderful break (pandemic notwithstanding) and are safe and well 🙂 Just wanted to update you on progress of purchase.

Over Christmas, London (where I live) has got quite bad with the new variant of Covid, and the seller of the Historic is more uneasy with meeting people.  He is older and his wife is high-risk so, of course, I understand and respect this, and I don't want to push him to meet me and let me play it.

My last conversation with him was yesterday. I have to say I was feeling very down about it - I was all ready to travel up to him and potentially come home with a Jumbo! I then checked Facebook Marketplace out of habit and up popped this guitar:   https://trentsideguitars.co.uk/product/gibson-j200-custom-2006/ It seems to be very close in spec to the Historic I was previously looking to purchase. A couple of notes: 

- The price is much more reduced on the Facebook ad (which our friends abroad may not be able to access?): https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/312163150114334/

- The photos on the ad are slightly different and show the serial number as 02258011 (from what I can make out?). If so, this would date the guitar to 2008..? 

I'd love to hear any thoughts or advice you have on this Jumbo. I'm determined as ever to get one. If she provisionally checks out OK, I'll journey up this weekend and, fingers crossed, come back with her.

Huge thank you as ever for your time and knowledge!  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zob Bimmerman said:

- The photos on the ad are slightly different and show the serial number as 02258011 (from what I can make out?). If so, this would date the guitar to 2008..? 

Yes, 2008, 225th day of the year, 11th guitar stamped that day.