Gibson Brands Forums

Season's Greetings, Festive Season Regards...and a Clapton Question...

pippy

Hi folks.

Hope everyone is well?

Not been posting around this place much but have been delighted to see how things are going on - especially (of course) as regards my old friends. Just a short post to wish everybody the very best for the festivities and hoping for a much healthier 2021.

I know that Beano...etc..etc...etc.. are Slowhand's "best" work but as far as coming from the pure fun and enjoyment angles are concerned I have decided my #1 EC is the poorly recieved 'Backless'.

What Say You?

A very sincere Happy New Year to everyone when it comes!

My Very Best Wishes to All,

Philip

P.S. : Ron! Let me know if the Cristal is any good?

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pippy said:

Hi folks.

Hope everyone is well?

Not been posting around this place much but have been delighted to see how things are going on - especially (of course) as regards my old friends. Just a short post to wish everybody the very best for the festivities and hoping for a much healthier 2021.

I know that Beano...etc..etc...etc.. are Slowhand's "best" work but as far as coming from the pure fun and enjoyment angles are concerned I have decided my #1 EC is the poorly recieved 'Backless'.

What Say You?

A very sincere Happy New Year to everyone when it comes!

My Very Best Wishes to All,

Philip

P.S. : Ron! Le t me know if the Cristal is any good?

Good call....good band.  Always one of his best, most relaxed line-ups.  There was a sequence of records with those guys - George Terry, Di*k Sims, Carl Radle, Jamie Oldaker: they're all good.  I still have and like "E.C. Was Here".   That's a good one.  I was at the concert where he calls out the chord key changes. Ron Wood came on. 

I also saw him at Crystal Palace with that band ('75, I'm going to tell about it one day) and...Ron Wood came on.     But -   so did  Larry Coryell and Freddie King!!! 

D*ck Sims passed away recently, think it was earlier this year.

I got a copy of "August" from the charity shop for £2 and er.....I confess I've always liked that one. 

Happy Xmas and NY2021.

Edited by jdgm
  • Thanks 1

Hello Pippy!  Good to see you!

Cristal is a champagne experience of it's own.  The bubbles are unmatched, only Perrier Jouet comes close for us, but the Perrier is finer bubbled.   Krug is close too.  The texture of Cristal is just divine.  It is difficult to describe a 250 dollar bottle of champagne without using stupid words.  The color is just beautiful, the start is smooth and round, the finish is crisp without being harsh, the fruit is there from front to back, and that's because those divine bubbles just carry it so well.  We had one 2009 and another waiting for Mrs to retire, but I think I'll surprise her with one for Valentines.  I may, MAY, maybe be able to get a 2012, the next step in Cristal, the farming is different with that vintage and is supposed to be pretty exciting.  I don't know if you get it cheaper over there or not, but for the right occasions it is worth every pound sterling pence farthing Liz portrait you have to put out for it.  Unless you're Scottish, in which case ice water would probably be your more economical choice.

As for EC, I think One In Every Crowd and EC Was Here tie for favorite, but I do like Backless too.  The Dominoes records are their own thing, Whitlock wrote some of the best songs ever and I still think of Layla and the In Concert and the boots as Whitlock records that Eric was lucky to be on, since they couldn't get Harrison and Dave Mason they settled for God.  Funny how that worked out.  I saw him in 75 right before his 30th birthday, then another two or three times with that band, so I got to see half the Dominoes!  Fun Fact:  He fired that band via teletype, what we call a "fax" today.  Carl Radle's lady said that it contributed much to his demise shortly after.  The last time I saw him was Money and Cigarettes, they actually gave out packs of Camels at the concert.  

I hope you and yours are well and have a grand holiday season.  When we lived in Bermuda we did the whole wassailing and Christmas and Boxing Day with more wassailing.  Good times indeed!

rct

• Thanks 1

Mele Kalikimaka

I still enjoy playing Badge after all these years.

Although.......... My fascination with Clapton started with the Yardbirds "I'm A Man" and at the end making the sound of perhaps a Spitfire starting up..   🙂

Edited by mihcmac
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Mele Kalikimaka

I still enjoy playing Badge after all these years.

Although.......... My fascination with Clapton started with the Yardbirds "I'm A Man" and at the end making the sound of perhaps a Spitfire starting up..   🙂

Mele Kalikimaka to you too from -30 Celcius ! Wish I was there!

"Stepping Out" is still one of my favourites  (perhaps because I can play it)

• Thanks 1

Merry Christmas all. 

I had never heard of Backless. I was listening to it just now, but it I interrupted it with mihcmac's Mele Kalikimaka. 

Ok back to Backless. Its not doing much for me so far, but its just one song. Now onto 'Watch Out for Lucy'. This is pretty good.

Its 5 in the morning as I write (I am an insomniac). I will be heading over to Cherry's house when it gets light. We've been together for just about a year now. I recently took a guitar over there (the Esprit) so I can play when visiting. We each had plans to be with family, but lockdown put an end to all that. As it pans out, this will likely be a good Christmas day for us.

🙂🐧🎄

• Thanks 1