Gibson Brands Forums

Warped next straightening itself? 1980 SG

My dad gave me his old 1980 ish SG "firebrand" I didn't play it much because the fretboard had a bit of a hump. The guitar lived in its original gibson hard case, and I believe that because the body was thinner than the case was designed for it held the guitar incorrectly and the first spot the next was supported caused a hump around the 12th to 15th fret. So I didn't play it much because it would buzz or need high action/relief to be somewhat playable. Anyway, I stuffed some socks behind the body to correct the angle and stood the case upright in my closet.

I had a friend over and we got to talking about guitars and I pulled out the sg for the first time in probably 2 years. I was thrilled to find that the hump in the neck is about 95% better. I wouldn't notice it not if I wasn't looking for it! No buzzing either. 

I am very happy and surprised that this 40 year old guitar has  fixed itself! Anyone else ever experience this?

IMG_20201224_002312288_HDR.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2020 at 11:15 AM, Intoodeep1113 said:

That's ok, we understood what you meant.

Even solid-body guitars react to changes in ambient humidity, which could have been part of the problem.  If your solution did the job, I would keep some packing behind the body to maintain the proper relationship between neck and body in the case. I would probably used a folded cotton towel.

You might even over-compensate a bit, so that the neck doesn't contact the rest at all, to see it the corrects out the rest of the problem. Then, just block the body properly after that.

It may help to store the case upright, or on one edge, if you have been laying it flat.  I store all my guitars upright and one edge, but all of my cases fit pretty well, too.

Yeah, I tried the truss rod adjustment pretty early on, but it didn't fix the issue. Yeah. It's in pretty good condition other than a few scrapes and dings. My dad thought the guitar body was a good place to wack his tuning fork! I also made my own scratch by the bridge post when I was 15 trying to adjust the action...

It basically lived in its case in a closet laying down. Standing it up and supporting the body better has done a world of good.

5 hours ago, Intoodeep1113 said:

Yeah, I tried the truss rod adjustment pretty early on, but it didn't fix the issue. Yeah. It's in pretty good condition other than a few scrapes and dings. My dad thought the guitar body was a good place to wack his tuning fork!

I just used the top of my head if there was nothing else hard around.