Gibson Brands Forums

Supreme Necks

DuaLeaD

I should know this but I suppose it never bothered me since my first guitar was an Epiphone Les Paul "Standard" with a 50s neck on it....

Quick Question:

What is the stock neck on Supremes? The guy who sold me my Supreme said it was a cross between a 50s and 60s profile in thickness.

I want to say they're 50s. This axe is a pretty sturdy guitar....I feel like I can break down walls with it....

Get yourself a digital vernier gauge (or borrow one from a friend) and measure the neck thickness at the first- and twelth frets. Compare the results with those which can be found in 'The Beauty of The 'Burst' or even of the LP's advertised somewhere online like 'Mark's guitar loft' and see which era is closest in size.

If you measure your own and post the results here I'll do the second part of the above for you.

My (ex-)Epi LP Standard had a neck somewhere between my R0 and an R9 as it happens.

Mine had a neck that was not the typical 50s rounded.

It was an 03' date=' more like between a 59 and 60s.

(closer to a 60s... kinda like a Custom... IMO)

If the neck was fatter I probably would have kept it.[/quote']

Without being funny, what is it that you like about the fatter necks?

I've read so many accounts (from so many guitarists whose opinion I respect) praising the fatter necks of the '58 and '59 instruments and I genuinely don't understand why so many people prefer those thicker neck profiles.

It's only fair that I should first explain my preference for the '60s slim-profile neck.

For most of the time I use the rearmost part of the neck as a balancing point against which I rest my thumb. This has two advantages - as I see them - over the usual thumb-round-the-neck grip.

Firstly; and most importantly, touching the neck loosely allows the neck to vibrate more freely and the instrument will 'sing' with much more 'voice' than if a neck-grip attitude were employed. If you think this sounds bollocks please just try it out, in a totally silent room, for yourself.

Secondly; The smaller the distance between my thumb - on the rear of the neck - and my fretting-fingers there is, the more string control I have with less effort to boot allied with less hand cramps

Over to y'all......

what is it that you like about the fatter necks?

I guess preference would depend on playing style (I'm no shredder) and size & shape of your hand.

The first guitars I got into were Jacksons (thin necks).

After I tried my first LP I noticed how much more comfortable it was.

It was a large rounded 50s (Studio). No more hand cramping....

I wouldn't say one neck style is any better than the other.

The fatter ones just work better for me.

Yes' date=' but as we all know, the '52-'58s were different from the '59s.

What style of '50s are we talking about?[/quote']

Whoaa, I just know that it is a 50's neck, I never checked with my micrometer as I always feel the urge to just play the guitar.

Whoaa' date=' I just know that it is a 50's neck, I never checked with my micrometer as I always feel the urge to just play the guitar.[/quote']

That's exactly how it should be and I wouldn't have it any other way.

In any case real '58 - '60 necks varied enormously even within each year. The 'thinner as time went by' thing is just a general rule-of-thumb.

Archived