Gibson Brands Forums

The Bluebird Of Happiness

SteveFord

It's here and it's in mint condition.  I don't think the seller ever played it as there weren't even any swirls on the pick guard.

Really nice neck on it, I couldn't happier with this one.  I'll try to post some pics tomorrow, if you're a Firebird geek you'll appreciate the transitions between the earlier models and the current offering.  If you don't care about Firebirds you'll yawn loudly.

Here are pretty much the changes:

Raised pick up rings, metal studs in the body for pickup height adjustment (you have the option of using an Allen wrench of the knurled nuts) and they moved the input jack back onto the body.

The current Firebird has better pick ups but they lost the Steinberger tuners and the raised section on the peg head so one step forward, two steps back.  I think the tail piece is different, too, as this 2017 is really light weight and has nothing cast into the back of it.

MVF1XSB.jpg

Edited by SteveFord

After a fair bit of screwing around with pick up height I went with Gibson's recommendations using the old dime, penny, nickel feeler gauge trick.

Too close to the strings and it sounded really piercing, too far away and it sounded like it was at the other end of a tunnel.

3 hours ago, SteveFord said:

After a fair bit of screwing around with pick up height I went with Gibson's recommendations using the old dime, penny, nickel feeler gauge trick.

Too close to the strings and it sounded really piercing, too far away and it sounded like it was at the other end of a tunnel.

I’d shoot for somewhere between piercing and the tunnel, using of course your accurate feeler gauges. You might need a Canadian dollar to dial it in just right.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

https://www.gibson.com/GibsonTV/Gibsons Guide to Guitar Setup and Maintenance/gtvortac0/epbopx4l

It's in here about covering a coin in Scotch tape and using that as a feeler gauge.

His whole series is really good.  

How about using a feeler gauge. Right tool for the right job.