Gibson Brands Forums

My search here shows nothing Dove Limited

Lou Theeur

I did a search here for Dove Limited Edition and found nothing. Does anybody have any experience with this model?? thanks 

I wasn't looking for this model in particular when I found it but it looks like new, the guy hardly plays it, I forgot the year but I think it was 2014, he is asking $3400 usd. Here is a link to the model though, not the one I looked at: 

Edited by Lou Theeur

So many "special, classic, limited, etc." models over the years.  It looks pretty much like a regular Dove.  Maple body and neck, spruce top, rosewood board and the fancy pick-guard.  Seeing as how a new one lists for $4,150 the price seems OK if it's in great shape.  Of course if possible you would want to go and play it first and check it out.  But as to the "Limited Edition" I don't know that really means very much.

Were the Limited Edt. the ones that had narrow nut width. Apart from that something tells me that Doves have been Doves for quite a long time.                                                                                                               Mine from 1996 probably doesn't differ much from later later versions - (not talking not In Flights or other luxus-variations here).                                                                                                                                        My feeling is that the modern 'plain' non-Tune-O-Matic bridge Dove has found its form and is what it is :                                                                                                                           A very fine acoustic square shouldered maple guitar, which can be called clear in the highs, but also has a lot of loose bass, turns dusty-mushy when the strings fade and projects, delivers or blooms more generously than fx the Hummingbird. I both highly recommend it and advice you to try it live before doing anything serious. It's not an ordinary creature. 

Here's mine just after I sat on golden waffle-back tulips. 

jExcAD6.jpg

It's actually more cherry red

Edited by E-minor7

6 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

. . . Here's mine just after I sat on golden waffle-back tulips. 

It's actually more cherry red

I bet that left an interesting mark.    🧇

(sorry, the spirit of oldwilyfool made me say that, at the encouragement of BBG and murph)

and . . . what's with the blonde Dove's G-string? Pre-cut short, & you got creative & saved it?

2 hours ago, 62burst said:

I bet that left an interesting mark.    🧇

(sorry, the spirit of oldwilyfool made me say that, at the encouragement of BBG and murph)

and . . . what's with the blonde Dove's G-string? Pre-cut short, & you got creative & saved it?

Ha ! , , ,  what would I do if you weren't there to watch over me. Are you a teacher. . 

0plF1i1.jpg     

zySHoHY.jpg

Yea, the G-string was tied together.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          You know I put identical sets on my 2 maple squares within the same hour and didn't want to disrupt the conceptual flow when it surprisingly early broke.  

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

Ha ! , , ,  what would I do if you weren't there to watch over me. Are you a teacher. . 

You'd probably have more Guitar Time. And it is always a fun game to wonder what forumites do (or don't do) to allow them to spend time in Gibsonville.

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

Yea, the G-string was tied together.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          You know I put identical sets on my 2 maple squares within the same hour and didn't want to disrupt the conceptual flow when it surprisingly early broke.  

'Measured from the B tuner post recently when installing the G. An expensive mistake on Elixirs- I'll be lifting your string-tying trick. 

Conceptual flow important- especially when seeking harmonic convergence. Or sonic divergence.

EDIT:  And to OP Mr Luthier's Q- 2 things from DaveF's replies- they just don't make a lot of Doves, so just their making them is limited. Too bad SlimT hasn't been checking in lately- he had actual production numbers for several years from Bozeman. 

The $ on the "  '60's Dove" was not at all the norm.  Someone got lucky 4 yrs ago when that guitar was listed.

Edited by 62burst

3 hours ago, 62burst said:

You'd probably have more Guitar Time. And it is always a fun game to wonder what forumites do (or don't do) to allow them to spend time in Gibsonville.

'Measured from the B tuner post recently when installing the G. An expensive mistake on Elixirs- I'll be lifting your string-tying trick. 

Conceptual flow important- especially when seeking harmonic convergence. Or sonic divergence.

EDIT:  And to OP Mr Luthier's Q- 2 things from DaveF's replies- they just don't make a lot of Doves, so just their making them is limited. Too bad SlimT hasn't been checking in lately- he had actual production numbers for several years from Bozeman. 

The $ on the "  '60's Dove" was not at all the norm.  Someone got lucky 4 yrs ago when that guitar was listed.

Thanks. But as I stated earlier, I was told there were only 40 in the usa but what does that even really mean? The internet connects the entire world so only 40 here in the usa doesn't mean what it did 25 years ago.....

8 minutes ago, Lou Theeur said:

this makes no sense

Okay, let me try to 'translate'. 

The Dove shown in the demo-clip is an ordinary Dove - meaning a Dove like the Doves described many places, fx the Gibson site and in my first post.                                                                                               The Limited Edition label, which seems to confuse some, is connected to or refers to the pick-up, which is an unusual feature for the common Dove (my theory).

The word plugged was used instead of connected  as a little djouke because of the only visible sign of difference  : The endpin input.  

If any further Qs, feel free. . 

I btw. have a Q now. What answer or insight regarding Doves or Limited Edition Doves are you looking for ? 

Here's a spec list from MF on the Limited Edition Classic Dove as pictured in the clip.

Body

• Body type: Square Shoulder Hollowbody
  • Cutaway: Non-cutaway
  • Top wood: Solid Sitka Spruce
  • Back & sides: Solid Flame Maple
  • Bracing pattern: Info not available
  • Body finish: Antique with hand rubbed cherry stain on back and sides
  • Orientation: Right handed

Neck

• Neck shape: Round
  • Nut width: 1.725" (43.8mm)
  • Fingerboard: Rosewood