Gibson Brands Forums

My search here shows nothing Dove Limited

Lou Theeur

I was going to say that this was just what we might call a Dove "Standard",  however those specs have a scale length of 25.75" which I think might be a misprint and they wanted to put down 25.5". 

Regardless, it looks just like my Dove from the early 2000s. 

An all around great guitar, I got mine on trade and would not easily be able to talk about what is and isn't a good price. 

Edited by Larry Mal

5 hours ago, Dave F said:

Keep in mind that a new Dove natural standard has a MSRP of $4799 , so if you know who to deal with you should be able to get one around $2900.

Based on the numbers provided by you, that is $1900.00 down from MSRP which, is a discount of 39%. Where did you get your MSRP quote? Currently at gibby's website, the natty Dove is $4149usd and that is also the price at gitar center. 

Edited by Lou Theeur

On 12/26/2020 at 2:28 PM, E-minor7 said:

Ha ! , , ,  what would I do if you weren't there to watch over me. Are you a teacher. . 

0plF1i1.jpg     

zySHoHY.jpg

Yea, the G-string was tied together.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          You know I put identical sets on my 2 maple squares within the same hour and didn't want to disrupt the conceptual flow when it surprisingly early broke.  

What's up with that neck?

26 minutes ago, Lou Theeur said:

Based on the numbers provided by you, that is $1900.00 down from MSRP which, is a discount of 39%. Where did you get your MSRP quote? Currently at gibby's website, the natty Dove is $4149usd and that is also the price at gitar center. 

Sweetwater is a good resource for MSRP

Edited by Dave F

6 minutes ago, Lou Theeur said:

What's up with that neck?

The rather thick layer of lacquer cracked while fine-sanding the neck. It was pretty fat so it didn't bother me to go all the way. Wrote about it here, btw. and posted pics.                                                               The first seasons I thought it was the reason the Dove (as the only guit in the herd) lost a lots strings-height during winter. This year there have been no probs.                                                                                                       But okay, we still got Jan-Feb ahead. . 

Regarding a 25,75 Dove scale - probably never. 

27 minutes ago, Lou Theeur said:

$4149 is what they call MAP (min advertised price) which all dealers must adhere to for new guitars unless they have an approval from Gibson. A phone call to some of you 5-star dealers will normally get you a better discount. Some dealers have a better price tag on the guitar in their shop, they just cannot advertise it.

8 minutes ago, Lou Theeur said:

So is the manufacturers website 😉

So who are these "right people" to get a good deal???

I would start with the closest non-big box  5-star Gibson store and start negotiating. The locally owned stores will deal better than GC or Sam Ash although once upon a time I had a local GC manager that took care of me.

There is one store I know of in TN that has the discount prices tagged in the store.

Just ask if they'll do 40% off. If they don't , try another store. I've never had to go back and forth. They either do or they don't.

If you don't like to haggle just pay the MAP. 

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Lou Theeur said:

So far so good - this is a solid straight contemporary orange label (mine from 96 is slightly different). But something tells me j45nick would have liked a more detailed photo. 

If you want pick-up, you probably got a delicate and decent Dove there. 

6 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

So far so good - this is a solid straight contemporary orange label (mine from 96 is slightly different). But something tells me j45nick would have liked a more detailed photo. 

If you want pick-up, you probably got a delicate and decent Dove there. 

You mean he wants to see the serial number?

22 minutes ago, Lou Theeur said:

does the label indicate limited production?

Wouldn't think so. The 'only 40' must be verified elsewhere.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Won't make the big difference though as the limited number probably has to do with the pick-up. A feature you can keep in or remove from the Dove. 

38 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Wouldn't think so. The 'only 40' must be verified elsewhere.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Won't make the big difference though as the limited number probably has to do with the pick-up. A feature you can keep in or remove from the Dove. 

Doesn't seem to my mind that the simple addition of a pickup really puts a guitar into the league of "limited production/edition". So is it the addition of the pickup that also earns the "custom shop" stamp/decal on the rear of the headstock?

Edited by Lou Theeur

28 minutes ago, Lou Theeur said:

Doesn't seem to my mind that the simple addition of a pickup really puts a guitar into the league of "limited production/edition". So is it the addition of the pickup that also earns the "custom shop" stamp/decal on the rear of the headstock?

As indicated several times, likely yes. 

1 hour ago, Lou Theeur said:

Will you please forgive my redundant questions above. If you don't mind my asking, what is your level of experience with Gibson guitars?

Good Lou Theeur - the heavier members here all have different fields and levels of expertise. I recommend you look up my contributions through the years and judge yourself.  

Spread over the last decade there will be 9122 posts to explore. Have fun.  

• Like 1