Gibson Brands Forums

Help identify ES variant.

Ajax

Hi Folks-

A friend recently inherited an ES 335. He doesn't know squat about guitars, and I can't help him with this model or date of manufacture. Instead of the standard F-holes, this one has diamonds; The fretboard inlays are blocks, split diagonally. Black color, silver hardware, black EMG humbuckers, black grover tuners, three to a side. Serial #00170420. Looks like a lot of after-market changes to me?  Thanks!

There should be a model ID number written on the label visible inside the body. 

The finish is some kind of transparent brown/black burst but I can't remember what name they give it.

The fretboard inlays are very unusual for a 335-style guitar, especially as the headstock is plain by comparison.

To post decent size pictures we all use free photo-hosting sites (Imgur, Postimage etc)  which provide a link of the image uploaded, to copy and paste into our posts.

Otherwise the size limit is too small. 

You could try contacting Gibson for further info - you may (or may not) get a reply -

service@gibson.com

Best wishes!

Edited by jdgm

Thanks so much. I tried for a larger picture, but it choked on anything larger. I stay away from sharing sites ever since the Photobucket fiasco. The inlays on the neck threw me off too. Would the Gibson Custom Shop build a guitar with EMG pickups? Or are those positively after market?

25 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Would the Gibson Custom Shop build a guitar with EMG pickups? Or are those positively after market?

I doubt it very much though I suppose it is just possible.....but highly unlikely.  Are they actives?