Gibson Brands Forums

Is there a list of Artist Signature acoustic models?

scott kurt

I don’t know if someone has a list but they have been discussed. I think the only two active ones are the Sheryl Crow CW and the Love Dove. I’ve had the Kris Kristofferson, Jackson Browne, Roy Smeck and Dwight Yoakam. Besides the Donovan you mentioned, other ones I recall are Emmylou Harris, Arron Lewis, Elvis Presley, Elvis Costello,  Billie Joe Armstrong, Chet Atkins, Slash and I’m sure there’s others. 

Are those signature model limited runs?
I‘m asking because here in Europe the Love Dove is said to be limited with 50 units worldwide but you can find them in quite a lot of stores. That makes me wonder.

Edited by Peter Z
typo

Very few signature models have made it to the standard line up. Most are limited runs and most do not complete the numbers they predict. Some of the limited run of 50 cut off in the 30’s if there is not much consumer interest. The Sheryl Crow model seems to be one of the models that are popular and have quite a few runs. Most of them are one run and done.  I don’t know about the Love Dove. 

• Like 1

Didn't know about the Love Dove.  I had an early '70s Dove with that bridge, which I actually prefer aesthetically over the standard Dove bridge.  With the dreaded moniker of being a Norlin era instrument, it was actually a fine sounding guitar.  Same with an early '70 Heritage Custom I owned.

Regardless of what anyone may say, they weren't all clunkers! 

Just recalled that there was a Brad Paisley J-45 model in 2010.  It was done in a light cheery sunburst, and had a batwing pickguard that inclded a rather unattractive (imho!) paisley design.

Edit:  Here’s another one - Keb Mo Bluesmaster.

Edit #2:  Assorted John Lennon J-160e versions, and two versions of Paul McCartney’s 1964 Texan, made in Bozeman for McCartney’s Adopt-A-Minefield fundraiser back in 2005.  And one more that comes to mind:  Nick Lucas models.

Edited by bobouz

Added Ray Whitley and deleted previous list

Acoustic Signature Guitars

1. Nick Lucas

2. Roy Smeck

3. Buddy Holly

4. Everly Brothers

5. Donovan

6. Slash

7. Brad Paisley

8. Les Paul

9. Jackson Browne