Gibson Brands Forums

ES-335 Identification

putz

I just picked up a 2013 ES-335 Studio Custom Artist Model. Ebony with a nitro finish. It came with a brown Gibson hard shell case. I contacted Gibson and customer service didn't have much info. What they could tell me is they have it logged as an ES-335 Studio with gig bag promo guitar. One off guitar. They don't know what promotion. They don't know what artist. It came with no paperwork and no gig bag. This beast is funky. I'll list the hardware and features below...

Bigsby Tremelo - Brushed Nickel

Bridge - Black

Grover Tuners - Chrome

3-Way Pickup Switch - Nickel w/ Black Switch Tip - Black Ring and Gold Lettering

3-Way Toggle - Black

6-Way Toggle - Black Chicken Head Knob - Chrome Ring and Black Lettering

1 Push/Pull Tone Pot

2 Humbucker Pickups with Black Metal Pickup Covers - The covers only go over the sides of the pickup. The top is opened and shows the pickup.

Black Custom Made Plate nailed/tacked in between the bridge and tremelo.

Black Bound Neck

Black Pickguard

1 Diamond Shape Sound Hole

Mother of Pearl Dot Inlays

I'm going to be opening it up in the coming days and figure out what pickups are inside. I'll post that info when I can. What promotion was this from? Which artist was this made for? Estimated value? Any help would be much appreciated.

20201230_144051.jpg

20201230_144059.jpg

20201230_144110.jpg

20201230_144117.jpg

That is certainly a unique 335, but if Gibson can't tell you what artist or promo it was for I doubt anyone here will know.  Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters played a Trini Lopez model and had a few similar ones released by Gibson associated with his name, but they had two diamond shaped f-holes, and the Trini style headstock and I don't believe they had a varitone switch, so really not very similar at all.  Sorry that's all I can come up with.