Gibson Brands Forums

J 45 Hummingbird

Benford

I’m looking at a acoustic for sale at a great price, but I think it’s suspicious! It has a hummingbird pick guard, and J 45 on the truss rod cover. I’ve never seen both, any help out there? I asked for a close up picture of the sticker inside the sound hole, it says hummingbird custom.

Upload it to imgur.com, then from your “album” there, click on your uploaded image, and select “BBCode” (blue button) to embed (paste) it directly here.

*Anyone have these two guitars handy at the moment? It would be interesting to see a photo of the J-45 you’re looking at.  . . If you draw a line through the tightest portion of the guitar’s “waist”, an imaginary line drawn across one on the Hummingbird runs through the lower soundhole, Where a similar line drawn across from each side of the pinched waist of the J-45 is below the soundhole. Wouldn’t that ‘guard, lining up with the soundhole/rosette on the Hummingbird, then ride down a little lower on the J-45, causing it to be almost on top of the binding ?

Edited by 62burst

New to the forum, tried to up load a picture, says file to big! Don’t know how to reduce the file size!

I will try to get pictures on soon! The shoulders are square (dreadnaught), and the hummingbird pick guard is close to the hole covering the rosette, not even. I think you have answered my question, a J45 with a hummingbird pick guard.

6 minutes ago, Benford said:

New to the forum, tried to up load a picture, says file to big! Don’t know how to reduce the file size!

I will try to get pictures on soon! The shoulders are square (dreadnaught), and the hummingbird pick guard is close to the hole covering the rosette, not even. I think you have answered my question, a J45 with a hummingbird pick guard.

If the photo is out on the web, position your mouse over it, click right button and select copy image address then paste that link in you post.

17 minutes ago, Benford said:

Looks like the pick guard may have been installed to cover a crack in the top there where the neck, guard meet at the sound hole?Image may contain: people playing musical instruments and guitar

It's the other way around. That crack was more than likely caused by the pickguard.  It's the kind of crack that needs attention by someone knowledgeable, A proper repair of a crack in that location--which is not unusual-- is not trivial. 

As ZW says, it appears to be a 1970s Hummingbird.

The trussrod cover is not original, but is easily replaced.

It should have a serial number embossed on the back of the headstock. That will pin down the year.