Gibson Brands Forums

What P90ies on the GLP Standard 50ies P90?

sugarcool6

What P90 pickups does Gibson use on a Gibson Les Paul Standard 50ies goldtop p90? (+/- $ 2200,-)

I see on the web several brands. Are the ones that are used in a new GLPStandard from the Gibson factory or do they use

other suppliers. Is there a quality difference between brands? Wich is the best brand? And why does Gibson keep

on using that ugly plastic on the P90?  I see much nicer gold and nickle ones by Seymour Duncan for instance.

Does the material of the cover plastic (soapbar), nickle or brass have an influence on the sound?

• 4 weeks later...

1 - The standard Gibson P90 design from 1946, which has a low output compared to modern humbucking (and some single-coil) pickups.  AFAIK they are still made by Gibson in their factory.

2 - Lindy Fralin, Kinman and Kent Armstrong are 3 brands with a very fine rep .  There are many more these days as you know, all expensive and most (supposedly) hum less than Gibson P90s .  But it's near-impossible to judge tone properly from youtube videos.   I'm thinking about a set of noiseless Fralins...:-k

3 - The plastic is 'how it is' and it's always been that way.  I used to think it was ugly, now I don't.  Mine are black plastic soapbars with gold plated screws.

lpfeb13small.jpg

4 - It shouldn't have any influence on the sound.  Brass is used as it takes diferent platings so well.

https://www.wdmusic.com/wd-music-products-brass-p-90-pickup-cover-details.html

Edited by jdgm