Gibson Brands Forums

The new Wilshire, Coronet and Crestwood

darling67

Hello, everyone!

I've been considering getting one of the new Wilshires. I know they're not the same quality level as those American-made "Reissues" that came out some yeas ago. But was still wondering if anyone has acquired one of these new models, and what their thoughts are on them regarding fit and finish.

I've got a 2020 Epi SG Special with P90s. It's a decent guitar, but it needed a little TLC out of the box before it was 100% playable. So I am not sure if I need another Chinese-made P90 Epi or not—and if I want to risk buying another guitar that will need a setup or other adjustments. But they look cool, sound great (on the youtube demos I've watched), and are unique to the Epiphone brand—as opposed to an Epiphone version of a Gibson.

Thanks!

Edited by darling67

I have one. The first example I got should have never made it past QC, but the one I have now (and another Wilshire and a Crestwood and Coronet I played in the store) is practically perfect.

This one was definitely set up in the factory - the intonation was almost perfect after traveling thousands of miles across several climates and weather extremes. Whether that setup is to your taste, though, is a different question. I'll lower the bridge a little bit when I change the strings next time.

The advantage to the Wilshire over the SG is the two-piece bridge and tailpiece. They should sound the same.

• Thanks 1

I have bought 3 new 2020 Epiphones with the new headstock over the last couple of months, a 339, a Wilshire and a Coronet that was sent a friend of mine who was hiding out from COVID in AZ.  All three were ready to play right out of the box with very good action and no buzzing. The Wilshire and Coronet are built different from my older G400's in that they are made with 2 slabs of mahogany with no veneer like what is used on my G400. Also I am a P90 freak, I have several Epiphones with P90 PRO's which are my favorite sounding P90 style pickup. I love playing my Wilshire and I can't seem to stop, its really hot..

My Wilshire

AovIPtC.jpg

My Coronet at my friends house.

YgVyEGQ.jpg

My 339 after a few mods.

UcqGuWz.jpg

All 3 played like they had been setup, they came from MusicZoo's online store..

Edited by mihcmac
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pohatu771 said:

I have one. The first example I got should have never made it past QC, but the one I have now (and another Wilshire and a Crestwood and Coronet I played in the store) is practically perfect.

This one was definitely set up in the factory - the intonation was almost perfect after traveling thousands of miles across several climates and weather extremes. Whether that setup is to your taste, though, is a different question. I'll lower the bridge a little bit when I change the strings next time.

The advantage to the Wilshire over the SG is the two-piece bridge and tailpiece. They should sound the same.

3 hours ago, mihcmac said:

I have bought 3 new 2020 Epiphones with the new headstock over the last couple of months, a 339, a Wilshire and a Coronet that was sent a friend of mine who was hiding out from COVID in AZ.  All three were ready to play right out of the box with very good action and no buzzing. The Wilshire and Coronet are built different from my older G400's in that they are made with 2 slabs of mahogany with no veneer like what is used on my G400. Also I am a P90 freak, I have several Epiphones with P90 PRO's which are my favorite sounding P90 style pickup. I love playing my Wilshire and I can't seem to stop, its really hot..

My Wilshire

AovIPtC.jpg

My Coronet at my friends house.

YgVyEGQ.jpg

My 339 after a few mods.

UcqGuWz.jpg

All 3 played like they had been setup, they came from MusicZoo's online store..

Thanks so much for your replies and insights!

I, too, love P90s. I've got my aforementioned Epi SG Special, as well as an Epi ES-339 P90 Pro. The 339 was perfect right out of the box—save for a strange vibration that began emanating from a location that seems to be underneath the neck pickup. This does not effect the amplified sound. It is strictly a "cosmetic" sound... if that makes any sense.

How does the neck feel on the Wilshire? Is it a wide neck, slim, somewhere in-between?

Anyway, I am trying to decide on this new Wilshire or a Gretsch 5222 Jet. I've got a single cut-away 5230 Jet with Bigsby and Filtertrons... and the 5222 Jet has no Bigsby and BroadTrons. So, I am trying to decide which would be the most different from what I've got of the two Brands. 

Thanks again!

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, darling67 said:

Thanks so much for your replies and insights!

I, too, love P90s. I've got my aforementioned Epi SG Special, as well as an Epi ES-339 P90 Pro. The 339 was perfect right out of the box—save for a strange vibration that began emanating from a location that seems to be underneath the neck pickup. This does not effect the amplified sound. It is strictly a "cosmetic" sound... if that makes any sense.

How does the neck feel on the Wilshire? Is it a wide neck, slim, somewhere in-between?

Anyway, I am trying to decide on this new Wilshire or a Gretsch 5222 Jet. I've got a single cut-away 5230 Jet with Bigsby and Filtertrons... and the 5222 Jet has no Bigsby and BroadTrons. So, I am trying to decide which would be the most different from what I've got of the two Brands. 

Thanks again!

My new Wilshire and Coronet have the same Medium C profile neck. My new redesigned ES-339 has the Rounded C profile neck which is not the same as the ES-339 PRO having the1960's SlimTaper™ D-shape neck.

Wilshire Neck:
Material Mahogany
Profile Medium C
Scale Length 24.72" / 628mm
Fingerboard Material Indian Laurel
Fingerboard Radius 12.01"
Number Of Frets 22
Frets Medium Jumbo
Nut Material Graph Tech® NuBone®
Nut Width 1.69" / 43mm Inlays Dot
Joint Glued in

Edited by mihcmac
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the input, everyone.

I may still pick up a new Wilshire. But I'll need to actually play one at a shop, as to avoid another "2020 SG Special" situation. I think the Gretsch Electromatics are a bit more reliable "out of the box", and so that Jet is still in the running.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I have been comparing the neck on my Wilshire to my modified G400 and wondering why the Wilshire seems faster. My G400 has a "Slim Taper D Profile" that feels really good and my Wilshire has a "Medium C Profile". I have found that the finger board measurements are are the same and front to back thickness of the neck seems to be the same, the rounded Medium C Profile on the Wilshire makes the G400's D profile feel wider, but it isn't.  The D shape has enough material in it that it could be Rounded into a Medium C Profile like the Wilshire.  Anyway, I am really enjoying my Wilshire the neck is really solid and I can't seem to stop playing it.

8paJrgb.jpg

My Modified G400 below.

7ZezNUL.jpg

and... they both use SG cases.

My modified 339, in its Epi 339 case, has a "Rounded C Profile" that is beefier, but not what I would call a fat neck.

QUKtFLN.png

Edited by mihcmac