Gibson Brands Forums

.07 Gauge Guitar Strings

Rabs

Looks like fun haha! I won’t change any of the gauges of strings on my guitars, but I see why blues guys like slinkier strings at times. Players who do a lot of bends could gain some utility. But if you’re playing more jazzier I prefer a more dark tone and no bending - half/whole step slides and such. Chords sound better to my ear with thicker gauge strings anyhow - just have that little bit more fullness I need to hear. 

What you gain in bendiness you lose in tone.  You would have to develop a different playing touch from what  you've been doing for many years and for what?  So you can bend further?  Billy Gibbons uses very light strings and obviously they work for him - but as Rabs says something to do in boring times when you are locked in the house, but I don't think .007s are going to change anyone's life.

21 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

What you gain in bendiness you lose in tone.  You would have to develop a different playing touch from what  you've been doing for many years and for what?  So you can bend further?  Billy Gibbons uses very light strings and obviously they work for him - but as Rabs says something to do in boring times when you are locked in the house, but I don't think .007s are going to change anyone's life.

unless you love retuning,  if so, you're in for a real treat!!

In the early 70's I got an Aria Pro that came setup with 8's, It was insane compared to what I had been using, so I would imagine with 7's you may think you're flying. If your guitar is currently set for heavier strings you may need to relieve some tension on the nut to flatten out the fingerboard, if the 7's start to buzz. 

11 minutes ago, Might Be said:

Firstly, Hi Rabs, how are things going. It's been a long time. I still have all those juicy off cuts you gave me and I've still got the Damascus billet and I still don't have a knife. That turned into a one day job. A lot has gone on since then 🤣.

Some years ago now pippy convinced me to try pure nickel strings. I like them at first but soon changed my mind. Under my fingers they had less definition and clarity.

It was a few more years before it occured to me to try pure steel strings. I'm never going back. 

Then I saw a video maybe a year ago. Who knows, I've lost track of time. I think I've been in the kitchen for a week 🤷🏻‍♂️. A bunch of guitarists all tried 11's, then 10's, 9's etc and they were all surprised that they prefered the sound as they went down in guage. 

I tried 9s, pure steel. It has changed everything for me. 

That you Farns...   How the devil are you..  How did that job go?

I have been using 9s most of my playing life.. Until I tried the Hybrid Slinkys...  For me its the best of both worlds.. 10s on the bass strings and 9s on the high strings.. So you get the nice bendy top E and slightly thicker on the bass end for the rhythm playing...

Things for me.  Just very very very boring..  But then a lot of us have to live with it for the moment dont we.. Hopefully by the summer we can start to get back out there a bit.

Ohh, and I bought a 336 a month or so ago..  Loving it.. Best guitar I have ever played.

uwdqUyz.jpg

wfwphHV.jpg

7U51G9s.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Karloff said:

I couldn't play them. I'm too heavy handed. 10s for A440, 11s for 1/2 step down ...

Yes...me too.   Hendrix used 10 to 38 and often tuned down to Eb.  Very bendable [cool]

Someone gave me a set of 12s which I'm going to put on my 175 (with Bigsby) and try dropping/tuning it to D. 

With some amp trem and reverb.  

Edited by jdgm

3 hours ago, Rabs said:

Apparently though there are some that can play it like "ringing a bell"...  

😛

lolz

Next month is 50 years for me playing the guitar.  45 of them I been playing that song in bands, and I still get happy playing and singing it.

rct

16 hours ago, jdgm said:

Yes...me too.   Hendrix used 10 to 38 and often tuned down to Eb.  Very bendable [cool]

Someone gave me a set of 12s which I'm going to put on my 175 (with Bigsby) and try dropping/tuning it to D. 

With some amp trem and reverb.  

I tried going to 12's last year, on a Les Paul. I figured between the shorter scale & tuned 1/2 step down it would be ok. nah ... I wussed out and went back to 11's