Gibson Brands Forums

ES 150 black & brown Vol & Tone knobs

Nature Curry

I've got a few mid - late 30's ES 150's  Also EM & B 150.  A couple have both black & brown knobs.   I know they weren't used in the first few batches '36, early '37.  Do any of you know when they used the 1 black & 1 brown knobs??   It would help me date those that I can't read the serial #s.   Thanks,

Edited by Nature Curry

Thank you.  That's good advise.   I should've thought of Gruhn  or Walter Carter .    I'll have to figure out a image site of some sort.     They would make a nice family pic.   Three ES 150s.   one is in primo shape.  It's one of th 1st  batch, the only batch made & delivered in '36.   Another has been refinished a shiny black  & refretted (this has the black & brown knobs)  I just never really liked playing this one then I realized  it was refretted with ES 335 size  frets.  .     They originally had real thin frets.   The other is really beat up but is the best playing & sounding axe I've ever had,    The tenor, also with 2 color knobs is a project & a half, to be tackled later.    Also have the EM 150 mandolin & EB, banjo & EH 150 a 6 string steel.   I think I'm only missing the 7 string steel.  Thanks again.

17 hours ago, Nature Curry said:

Thank you.  That's good advise.   I should've thought of Gruhn  or Walter Carter .    I'll have to figure out a image site of some sort.     They would make a nice family pic.   Three ES 150s.   one is in primo shape.  It's one of th 1st  batch, the only batch made & delivered in '36.   Another has been refinished a shiny black  & refretted (this has the black & brown knobs)  I just never really liked playing this one then I realized  it was refretted with ES 335 size  frets.  .     They originally had real thin frets.   The other is really beat up but is the best playing & sounding axe I've ever had,    The tenor, also with 2 color knobs is a project & a half, to be tackled later.    Also have the EM 150 mandolin & EB, banjo & EH 150 a 6 string steel.   I think I'm only missing the 7 string steel.  Thanks again.

Well -  sounds like a wonderful collection - if you do post some pics, I recommend you put them in the acoustic section of the forum as there are one or 2 experts who check in there. [thumbup]