Gibson Brands Forums

Too ICONIC for words?

SteveFord

On 1/10/2021 at 5:03 PM, SteveFord said:

That gal's butt need it's own Zip Code.  You know you've overdone the plastic surgery when you go for a motorcycle ride and your a- s- s  gets caught in the spokes.

That top has all sorts of stuff going on - bear claw and the striping and then the ovals and the lines.  I'm dying to see it in person. 

I better not get an empty box!!!

Are you talking about Miss K or the guitar here?

😄 

• Haha 1

It's here, the 3rd photo down was a mix up from the seller, that IS a different guitar.

Fret board was dry as can be so hit that with two coats of Lemon Oil, gave the top 3 nut slots a quick buzz with a welding tip file, set it up with some .11s and will spend some time with it later on tonight.

No need to mess around with any other Les Pauls for me (if only I had such and such a model, woe is me...).

The neck is pretty much a medium rounded profile, really low frets and even unplugged it has Spinal Tap-like sustain.  It also doesn't weigh a ton, either.  Seller said under 9 pounds and I'd say that's accurate.

They got some marks on the fret board when they were doing the nibs, otherwise it looks to be flawless.  You can't feel the marks when you're playing which is what I care about.  

I'll have to look a little closer but I think it's a one piece back.  The finish is really good, no complaints.  Tuners seem to have a fairly low gear ratio which made me miss those fugly Steinbergers on the FIrebird Vs.

If anyone is one the fence about the 2019/2020 Standards I'd say grab one, I don't think you'll be disappointed.  Gibson has really done a good job with these guitars, they're a quality instrument.

Here's a few pics from earlier today, the seller may have mixed up a couple of them and I passed them along by accident.

It's not eye popping but it's the best Les Paul I've played in terms of feel.  The neck is just perfect for me and it has some rock and roll pick ups in it.

MpFYF6w.jpg

KqVryZP.jpg

LeXH9tR.jpg

They actually had the bridge pick  up too high by 1/2 turn according to Gibson's set up video.  I'll have to give it a shot once the wife returns from the hospital, right now I'm babysitting her puppy which is a full time job right there.  When he sees a guitar he thinks it's playtime.  

So this has Burstbucker 61s in it as does the Classic, the 50 neck profile has Burstbucker 1 and 2 pick ups.  

Well, I'll be burstbucked.  That's a whole lotta burstbuckin' goin' on.  Guess they're proud of the sunburst finishes.  

I'll keep the 50s neck profile one as well simply because I like the guitar, it's handsome and sounds good.  Not a shredder's neck by any means.  

I look at guitars as a fun bank account.  If you ever get in a bind you sell a guitar and you have the enjoyment of playing them in the meantime.  Beats looking at a bunch of zeros in a bank statement.

So Pinch, you bought one of these?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

They actually had the bridge pick  up too high by 1/2 turn according to Gibson's set up video.  I'll have to give it a shot once the wife returns from the hospital, right now I'm babysitting her puppy which is a full time job right there.  When he sees a guitar he thinks it's playtime.  

So this has Burstbucker 61s in it as does the Classic, the 50 neck profile has Burstbucker 1 and 2 pick ups.  

Well, I'll be burstbucked.  That's a whole lotta burstbuckin' goin' on.  Guess they're proud of the sunburst finishes.  

I'll keep the 50s neck profile one as well simply because I like the guitar, it's handsome and sounds good.  Not a shredder's neck by any means.  

I look at guitars as a fun bank account.  If you ever get in a bind you sell a guitar and you have the enjoyment of playing them in the meantime.  Beats looking at a bunch of zeros in a bank statement.

So Pinch, you bought one of these?

Yup, the 60s in Unburst! The BB 61s will be yanked ASAP...

Congratulations!
What are you putting in there?  You might like the Burstbucker 1s and 2s but ymmv as they say.

This morning I was relieved of Poodle Babysitting Duty so I had a chance to play the 50s and 60s neck Standards side by side.  The 50s neck has a richer sound to it.  How much of that is due to the pick ups and how much the actual guitar I can't say.  Either one is fine with me but if you're looking for more bass and midrange I think the BB 1/2 combo would be the way to go.

Edited by SteveFord

20 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Congratulations!
What are you putting in there?  You might like the Burstbucker 1s and 2s but ymmv as they say.

This morning I was relieved of Poodle Babysitting Duty so I had a chance to play the 50s and 60s neck Standards side by side.  The 50s neck has a richer sound to it.  How much of that is due to the pick ups and how much the actual guitar I can't say.  Either one is fine with me but if you're looking for more bass and midrange I think the BB 1/2 combo would be the way to go.

I've warmed a little to the 61s, but there's still that shrill AlNiCo V Burstbuckiness that I don't get along with. I got a good price on a set of Slash sigs, so I think, whenever I get around to taking it to a luthier (I'm NOT doing it myself on this one!) I'll go full fanboy for a while and indulge my inner 13-y o that dreamed of a Standard that color with a 60s neck and no weight relief. 

Damn... Feels pretty awesome. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 7:08 PM, SteveFord said:

This is actually good business sense in these days when most savings accounts are paying such tiny interest rates.  

You can't measure the pleasure of playing a beautiful guitar.....[wink]

I think a good LP 25/50 will be a worthwhile investment, even if it doesn't appreciate much.  The original limited issue ones already are.

Edited by jdgm

They can come through set up oddly.  

That white SG I have had the most overpowering bass notes on the bridge pick up, no wonder nobody played it!

It could just be coincidence or perhaps electronics but I've noticed that the heavier Les Pauls are the ones that sound the best.  The 60s neck Standard that's here is under 9 pounds, that 50s neck is over 10 pounds as is the Classic and Gold Top Standard.  

From this bunch, at least, the heavier ones have the richer tones.  Shame you need a block and tackle to play them for any real length of time.

Either that or I suppose you could rent a midget and rest the cutaway on the top of their head.  All sorts of bad jokes could come out of that one.

7 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Speaking of pickups, any problems putting in 4-wire conductor pickups in a guitar that comes w/ 1-wire BB 61s?

My knowledge of electronics is basically "don't lick the socket".

4 wire and the braided 2 wire pups can be soldered to the pots. 4 wire just gives you coil tapping or coil splitting (what ever the right term is). I used to change out all my stock pups it is easy. You just need to connect the wires in between the pups and solder like normal (if you just want a standard humbucker).

Yeah' I'm and electrician and don't lick the socket.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

5 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

4 wire and the braided 2 wire pups can be soldered to the pots. 4 wire just gives you coil tapping or coil splitting (what ever the right term is. I used to change out all my stock pups it is easy. You just need to connect the wires in between the pups and solder like normal (if you just want a standard humbucker).

Yeah' I'm and electrician and don't lick the socket.

So basically, a 4-wire pup is no problem to put in a guitar in a guitar that comes with a 1-wire pup?

No coil splitting for me. Just two volume and two tone, the usual.

Edited by Pinch

30 minutes ago, Pinch said:

So basically, a 4-wire pup is no problem to put in a guitar in a guitar that comes with a 1-wire pup?

No coil splitting for me. Just two volume and two tone, the usual.

Yes. The two single coils in a humbucker with the braided wire is the same as a 4 wire pup (and like I mentioned before it just give you the coil tap option. The connection for a 4 wire pup, the two single coils is done external to the pup, and internal (under the cover) on the braided ones. The braided one is kind of one wire, but the braided part is your ground (its a conductor just not a regular wire) and the wire in the middle is your hot.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yes. The two single coils in a humbucker with the braided wire is the same as a 4 wire put. The connection for a 4 wire to connect to two single coils is done expernal to the pup on a 4 wire and internal (under the cover) on the braided ones. The braided one is kind of one wire, but the braided part is your ground and the wire in the middle is your hot. On a 4 wire job you just see all 4 wires.

Thank you!

That's what I thought, but figured I better make sure, since I got to the "don't lick sockets" and stayed there.

41 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Thank you!

That's what I thought, but figured I better make sure, since I got to the "don't lick sockets" and stayed there.

I'm a s-hitty speller.

Some pups are 5 wire and the 5th one should be a bare wire. It gets soldered to the case of the pot and is your ground.

kcCm4fJ.gif

In this case the red and white would be connected together. The green would go to the metal case of the pot, the black would go to one of the connections on the pot, and the bare would go to the case of the pot as well.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'm a s-hitty speller.

Yeah, redundant hyphen...

Going with the Slash sigs... watched a lot of videos on the standard Duncan AIIs, but the mid-range boost of the sigs is just my idea of a perfect LP tone... It just happens to be Slash's too... No one buys a Strat and goes "I want it to sound like a Jackson!". No, people essentially want Hendrix and Gilmour for the most part.

Besides, the sigs are nickel (not zebra), so I'm gonna lie and say they're my very own Pinch's Appetite For Nachos custom Duncans. Including to myself.

3 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Yeah, redundant hyphen...

Going with the Slash sigs... watched a lot of videos on the standard Duncan AIIs, but the mid-range boost of the sigs is just my idea of a perfect LP tone... It just happens to be Slash's too... No one buys a Strat and goes "I want it to sound like a Jackson!". No, people essentially want Hendrix and Gilmour for the most part.

Besides, the sigs are nickel (not zebra), so I'm gonna lie and say they're my very own Pinch's Appetite For Nachos custom Duncans. Including to myself.

I had a pair of Duncan Slash open coil pups in a LP. I didn't like them.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

12 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I had a pair of Duncan Slash open coil pups in a LP. I didn't like them.

That put me right back on the fence...

What didn't you like about them?

(my "mind of my own" is still in R&D hell)

Edited by Pinch