Gibson Brands Forums

Too ICONIC for words?

SteveFord

50 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

The 490s in my Lucille and Les Paul studio have some bite to them if that's what you're after.

I have them in my Tribute. They're pretty good set real low, but I guess I'm looking for that Slash midrange tone that's almost cello-like.

And for cleans to sound something like this :

I wouldn't say I'm a fanboy; I certainly wouldn't buy a guitar with a signature on or anything, just that the "Illusion" albums will always be the benchmark for my idea of what a Les Paul "should" sound like, 'cos that's what I grew up on. So now that I got the LP, I figured I should try taking it all the way... Even if I tire of the pups in due time...

Edited by Pinch

2 hours ago, Pinch said:

That put me right back on the fence...

What didn't you like about them?

(my "mind of my own" is still in R&D hell)

It's been so long since I had that guitar I can't remember. The Slash pups were the open coil all black ones.  I am one of the weirdos that liked the 490's.  Here is the guitar from about 2013 when I was assembling it.

Lindy Fralin makes killer pups. If you call them you will probably talk directly to Lindy and he can go over what you want from a pup. I've called and talked to him a few times. He is a cool guy. One day when I am in Richmond I am going to go to his shop. I hear he will show you around.

4jJjRJP.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

25 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It's been so long since I had that guitar I can't remember. The Slash pups were the open coil all black ones.  I am one of the weirdos that liked the 490's.  Here is the guitar from about 2013 when I was assembling it.

Lindy Fralin makes killer pups. If you call them you will probably talk directly to Lindy and he can go over what you want from a pup. I've called and talked to him a few times. He is a cool guy. One day when I am in Richmond I am going to go to his shop. I hear he will show you around.

4jJjRJP.jpg

I like the 490s in my Tribute. It's weird; I thought they were passable at best when they came set up from Gibson. I recently lowered the neck pup to where it can't go much lower, really (with the wire propping up one side), and there - right there and not a hair higher - the wood just sings. It's just this really cool PAFy blues guitar now. Bang for the buck.

Long legs were sorta standard because of the depth of traditional routs for the pickups.  You couldn't get the pickups deep enough with "short legs" when they came along, which was probably just cost cutting.

So, as usual, what we used to just get became something "special", and in some cases, an upcharge.

It should be fine, unless Gibson doesn't rout as deep as they used to.

rct

• Thanks 1