Gibson Brands Forums

Help Identify my Vintage ES-335

steadyflowfunk

Hey all,

I recently came across a pretty vintage looking Gibson ES-335 that I’m going to get fixed up. I’m interested in knowing what year it was made and where. The serial number is 6 digits - 955153. The “I” is dotted in the Gibson logo. Haven’t had much luck trying to pinpoint any info by looking at Gibson’s Serial # Verify page. Any help would be much appreciated. Pics below!

Best,
Tanner

front:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17OGCjfEWKPtDowAEwEQ9Mrj1V5_1e_Ob/view?usp=drivesdk

back:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18B8SoxLECXfRwtwHWXHrdB684OOmmB50/view?usp=drivesdk

That's a 1968 serial number. Should have an orange oval label inside the f-hole.  Label should say made in Kalamazoo, and "Union Made".

Photos are consistent with that. I think the tuners have been replaced.

I had a '68 ES 335-12 with the same sunburst, and a fairly close serial number.

My go to source Gibson Electric Serialization from the 11th Edition Blue Bool of Electric Guitars also puts it as a '68. I have a '69 that could be its twin; exact same finish and headstock. My serial# could have been '66 or '69 so I removed a pot to verify and that dated to late '68, ruling out '66. Tuners have been replaced. Originals would have been tulip style Klusons. The pickups, if original should have Patent# stickers on the back. The original bridge would have had nylon saddles. 

Looks like a nice project as long as the neck is straight or can be straightened. Good luck!