Gibson Brands Forums

Good\Bad years for Les Pauls

rutledj

I'm looking to purchase a LP Studio (used) and really don't know much about the history of Gibson guitars, but it seems like I've read that there were some years where the quality wasn't as great as it could have been. Are there certain production years to avoid?  Also wondering if anyone can compare the LP Studio with a PRS S2 singlecut as an LP alternative.  I know the PRS doesn't have the maple cap so wondering if that would make it much darker sounding.

Thanks,

Rut

People generally complain about the Norlin years

68-83, cause they started pancake bodies, supposed to have lowered their QC,

but check out complaints of the new guitar QC. But that's subjective from guitar to guitar 

Where people buy guitars online sight unseen then complain the neck joint isn't totally stained the way they like it.

Look at the guitar, as long as it's not fake, enjoy it

Edited by Eracer_Team

I don't think any PRS sounds like a Gibson LP.

Don't get me wrong. I have a couple of PRS and like the way they sound. It's different to a Gibson though to my ears. PRS have a violin like whining tone.

Alternatives: An Epiphone Tribute Plus will nail it. They have Gibson pickups (57 Classics).

Some say Tokai Love Rock will get you close. Others say a Vintage V100MR Lemon Drop. Me? I'd just get a Gibson I think.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Eracer_Team said:

People generally complain about the Norlin years 68-83, cause they started pancake bodies, supposed to have lowered their QC,

I tend to think there is more than a noticeable difference between Kalamazoo-made and Nashville-made instruments, and the Nashville stuff is definitely not junk.

1 hour ago, rutledj said:

I noticed that some of the studios have a 'T' in the model. I can't find what that stands for

Traditional... 

Good and bad years. Not really a thing, just good and bad guitars for every year..  And even that is subjective and objective cos everyone likes different things...

Early 90s Studios are kinda cool as they have an Ebony board..  After that you may want to avoid the 2015 models unless you like wide necks. After that its all good really..  You also have the Tribute series (and faded series) which are like Studios but less shiny (and a bit cheaper cos of that).

Buy New & they come with a Ltd Lifetime Warranty. Also most reputable online Sellers like Sweetwater & others offer a 45 day no hassle Exchange or Return policy..

A hand made Intrument of any year can be a Diamond or it can be a Dud... If you can't get out & play any of them hedge your risk...

"T"  could be traditional as Rabs says,, but could also be "tribute" Either way the pretty much point to the same idea.

years? hard to pick one,.. that all have to be judged one by one individually,  you could study 10 and probably find variances in each one that speak to the quality control issues

most of this is what you as the consumer are willing to accept, as it's most often times down to cosmetics and "fit & finish" kind of flaws. 

IMHO, A prs is not a substitute, it's a different animal entirely.