Gibson Brands Forums

Scratch removal - 1959 Gibson ES-330TD

Hi... I'm looking to remove scratches from my original 1959 Gibson ES-330TD in black. I've read various posts here and wanted input on my plan before I execute it. 

First, I've attached a pic of the back of the guitar that shows some scratches and also a couple deeper ones. (Excuse the reflections.) I'm guessing the solution to these are different.

My understanding is that for the light/medium scratches (big red circle) that one would use a product like the StewMac combo, ColorTone Clean + Shine with Scratch Remover. https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/supplies/sanding-and-polishing/colortone-clean-and-shine-with-scratch-remover-set-of-2-8oz.html

Per their website the instructions are:

"Simply apply Clean + Shine with a clean cotton cloth or directly on the instrument. Buff to a gloss. Follow with the Scratch Remover if you want to remove fine scratches. Work it into the scratches until they disappear, repeat and let dry to a haze. Buff with a clean cloth until smooth and shiny. Follow up with Clean + Shine for best results."

So my questions include is this the right product to use? (I've seen people using toothpaste, car wax, ... so I know there are many options.) And would this product work on the scratches I've shown in the picture.

Your guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_7958 v2.jpg

1 hour ago, Ronaldo G said:

Thanks jdgm. For the deeper scratches, any recommendations?

Remember, any scratch remover is taking off original finish through abrasion. The original finish is extremely thin. 

A good chunk of the value in a guitar like yours is tied up in the originality of the finish. You may make the guitar look better by an aggressive scratch removal program, but you can actually hurt the value.

If the scratch cannot be removed or minimized without going through the finish, or getting to the point you have to touch it up, you have just knocked something off the value. If you try to take out deep scratches, you may well go completely through the finish.

A 1959 guitar is now more than 60 years old. It is not realistic, or even desirable, to  have it look like a new guitar.

Proceed with caution.

40 minutes ago, j45nick said:

Remember, any scratch remover is taking off original finish through abrasion. The original finish is extremely thin. 

A good chunk of the value in a guitar like yours is tied up in the originality of the finish. You may make the guitar look better by an aggressive scratch removal program, but you can actually hurt the value.

If the scratch cannot be removed or minimized without going through the finish, or getting to the point you have to touch it up, you have just knocked something off the value. If you try to take out deep scratches, you may well go completely through the finish.

A 1959 guitar is now more than 60 years old. It is not realistic, or even desirable, to  have it look like a new guitar.

Proceed with caution.

Thank you and totally agree - I’m not looking to make the finish perfect at all. I’d just like to get back it’s shine and also remove the light scratches. Definitely don’t want to take off any more finish than is needed to do this. Plan to start very slow. Greatly appreciate your input. Thanks!