Gibson Brands Forums

Would you trade??

pawlowski6132

I'm contemplating this trade:

I own a 1982 335. I am the original owner and nothing's been replaced or repaired. Everything works and it has been played very little (I suck). It's blonde.

I have an opportunity to trade for a 1976 335. You know the ones, with the coil split (tap?) switch and trapeze tailpiece, sunburst. It appears to be in similar condition to mine. I haven't played it yet though. I will have an opportunity to do that.

If you liked the way it played and sounded, would you make this trade?

Curious to know what you think and thank you in advance for taking the time to reply and share.

So, this situation actually requires a few different considerations.

I ended up deciding to not make the trade. Partly because I think my guitar is awesome and it has sentimental value.

However, how long do I need to keep this for? Until I die? Then what? Assuming my wife outlives me, it will ber hers. She has NO idea what's worth or what to do with it. Best case scenario is, she keeps it and it goes to one of my sons. Worse case is, she takes it to goodwill. If my sons get it, they may hold onto it (not sure why, they're not musicians) or try to cash out and spend the money on a big screen TV.

So, why wouldn't I consider selling it or trading it now while I can get something different I like just as much or even more? 

While I've loved my 335 for almost 40 years, I'd like to experience a great ES175 or a '39 Epiphone Archtop or a '50's Martin before I die which lately could be any day now. Who knows?

The same thought goes to all my equipment from  my expenseive hobbies (stereo, photogaphy, guitars, etc.).

Has anyone started to consider what they're going to do with their guitars and when?

Edited by pawlowski6132
Additional thoughts.

I had one of those 76 335s brand new which means I'm old.  It's been so long since I've played one of those I'm not sure if I'd be disappointed or be in love with it.  I do know that when I had it I just loved that guitar but I was also a kid without much experience.

For when I croak, I've given it some thought.  Maybe will one to a buddy as a surprise and let the poor slob who gets stuck settling my Estate handle to rest.  

Whatever you decide to do. Put it in writing. Identify a beneficiary and leave it with someone or, an estate attorney if you have one (I'd recommend one). You don't want your estate to wind up in probate (even with a will), that's a disaster and worse case scenario.

I was going to leave my gear to my only friend with more guitars than me but, he's older than me and not even married, just live in girlfriend. If he died shortly after me, my guitar would go to his girlfriend!

12 hours ago, pawlowski6132 said:

While I've loved my 335 for almost 40 years, I'd like to experience a great ES175 or a '39 Epiphone Archtop or a '50's Martin before I die which lately could be any day now. Who knows?

The same thought goes to all my equipment from  my expenseive hobbies (stereo, photogaphy, guitars, etc.).

Has anyone started to consider what they're going to do with their guitars and when?

Unfortunately the only way to properly experience those great guitars is...to buy one.  In another thread, Steve Ford has made the point that great (or as he says - iconic)  guitars are a pretty good investment right now, as capital is paying out such tiny amounts of interest.  You get a lot of pleasure from a great guitar and if you do decide to sell you should at least get your money back if you chose/bought wisely in the 1st place.  I think you made the right decision to keep your guitar too.

In the last year - because of the pandemic - I've started writing a file called "what to do when I die" which is an inventory of everything I have that is valuable,  with some idea of current value and ideas for how to sell after I've gone.  This is separate from a will and tells or suggests my relatives what to do with what they have been left from my estate.  However some or most of my stuff will very likely have to be sold before I die to pay for medical care etc.

For as you say, who knows?

Edited by jdgm

14 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Did you get a chance to play that 335 with the trapeze tail piece or just decide not to bother?

Hey Steve. I didn't. Aside from me deciding to keep, for now, I received this from an "authority" on 335s:

"Nearly every 76-79 335 I’ve played has been awful. Heavy, poorly constructed and very different than earlier ones. They made some really bad changes in the 70’s. The 81-85’s are much better. I would not make that trade unless you can play it first and you really like it better than the 82. "

It's not that old, I had a 59 ES345.. LOL! I did sell it for a ton of money a while back.. I have recent 2013 Memphis 335 which I love.. And quite a bit of $$$ left over...

My Kids & Grandkids have dibs on the Guitars they want when I go to the great beyond... The rest they can sell on Reverb or whatever they have then.. They will get close to what they're worth... I'm not worried about that...

I do care about what I play today.. If I'm happy with it I keep it. If I'm not I get rid of it & get something else.. Simple..