Gibson Brands Forums

SG - Neck joint crack?

dtrimar

Hi there,

New here. Just got an SG Standard '61, and I noticed a little gap near the neck joint so I took the pick guard off in that area and found a pretty big gap there. Pic attached. 

Curious if this seems like an issue or if it is just a cosmetic thing?

Thanks in advance!

unnamed (1).jpg

Edited by dtrimar

I think Gibson covers up a multitude of atrocities with their pickguards!! LOL!

I remember a forum member (Bad Blues Player) bought an SG and the tenon pocket was a disaster.

Put the pick guard back on, and it looked awesome..

I agree with Eracer, just a  sloppy job done their.

Thanks for easing my concerns, folks! The question is—should I keep it? I got it used from a GC so I can still return. It's a 2020 model that was pretty much brand new when I got it, so I think maybe it could be a factory second or something.

IMG-6156 (1).jpg

3 minutes ago, rct said:

Looks like the tenon was not filled.  I'd take it back and show them why.

rct

Got it for under a grand—that have any impact on your perspective on keeping/returning? Should I just fill it myself/see if Gibson has a luthier in my area who can take care of it?

I had one that was worse than that.  I exchanged it for one that was better than that.  I'm not that smart about exactly what is o.k. and what is not o.k., but the one I have now is super nice.  I love the guitar. 

I'm sure somebody could fill that in with glue.  How big a deal it is, that's over my pay grade.

Edited by badbluesplayer

33 minutes ago, dtrimar said:

Got it for under a grand—that have any impact on your perspective on keeping/returning? Should I just fill it myself/see if Gibson has a luthier in my area who can take care of it?

There's too many great guitars out there for under a grand to accept that, in my opinion.  The tenon bone is connected to the body bone, there is no reason for you to fill it yourself unless you absolutely love that guitar and returning it is not an option.  That probably shouldn't have gone out like that, and that might be why you got such a deal on it.  Unfortunately, Gibson doesn't have a "luthier" in your area who can take care of it.  Having that done as some form of warranty work or as some authorized Gibson repair is going to be costly and time consuming.  I would leave the screws off the pickguard, take it in, show them, and return it and find one that isn't like that. 

But that's just me.

rct

^--  that would be assuming the GC sales dudes would have removed the pick guard to see what's under there.  I think the probability of that is like -10%

if it sounds good, and plays good, it probably is good..  Granted that is a sloppy job..  but honestly it looks cosmetic to me.

If they would do an even swap, then yea,  maybe do that.

If not then,  I would be tempted to keep it since it sounds like it was bought for a good price.  filling that gap  would be pretty easy.  it looks like it's just the surface area.

Edited by kidblast