Gibson Brands Forums

SG's Epi or Gibson

recsec

What so you think is the better Buy?

1. 2007 Gibson Faded Yellow SG Special $700.00

2. 2008 Epi SG Prophecy GX, (Gibson Dirty Finger P/U) $490.00

I am a 11/2 year guitar player taking Blues Lessons and currently own a Epi Les Paul Custom Silverburst and a Fender Strat HSS.8-[

I own the prophecy and I can tell you that the neck is outstanding, finish is amazing and the DF pickups are ferocious. As long as it has been looked after it will be a keeper.

On the other hand, the Gibson special will probably hold its value better which is a good thing because you will probably want to get rid of it.

i was in ur same situation a couple months ago...you can see my decision... the prophecies kill the special IMO...its just i wanted an sg with EMGs for so long and now i have one and i will have the sg with DF's by the end of the year as i played my friend's les paul prophecy GX and both are just stunning guitars.......

only my GX will be an SG so that is bonus points

For playability, quality and perks, just get the Prophecy. The Dirty Fingers are good pickups (very versatile if you know how to set the height and polepieces to get the most out of the guitar), and the overall fit and finish is superior to the Gibson (even some of the higher-up Gibsons look bad by comparison, it saddens me to say). If it weren't for the gold hardware I'd probably own a Prophecy myself.

H-Bomb

For playability' date=' quality and perks, just get the Prophecy. The Dirty Fingers are good pickups (very versatile if you know how to set the height and polepieces to get the most out of the guitar), and the overall fit and finish is superior to the Gibson (even some of the higher-up Gibsons look bad by comparison, it saddens me to say). If it weren't for the gold hardware I'd probably own a Prophecy myself.

H-Bomb[/quote']

Wow, that's surprising to hear about the fit and finish... a huge bummer actually.. sigh.

The SG Prophecy GX is a nice looking guitar I have to admit.

I am so impressed with my Prophecy SG (Dirty Fingers) that I have ordered a prophecy futura (EMGs). I was going to get the prophecy SG with EMGs but the futura was heavily discounted (I guess because everyone that is buying is buying the LP or SG version) and, to me, looks more appropriate for the EMGs and the style of music they are designed for. (SG for blues/classic rock and the futura for more modern thrashy stuff).

Ill be honest and say that although I can afford one, I dont think I will be likely to buy a Gibson in the near future.

Archived