Gibson Brands Forums

New Kramer SM-1

GIJoeJarhead

I did quite a bit of research before I pull'ed the trigger on this New Kramer SM-1 (Candy Blue) from Sweetwater.

It will be my very first true shred machine, and will really round out my little guitar collection I have built.  This one come pre-loaded with the Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge (Which I'm familiar with and LOVE) and a set of cool rails in the middle and neck, which I am not familiar with.  My question is how well do these pickups pair with each other?  I have a Hotrodder Combo in my LP and I KNOW how those sound, but this is a new experience/platform for me, so if anyone has any experiences, opinions I would appreciate it.

Also, someone mentioned that this looks similar to the Kramer Stagemaster from the early 80's, so I wonder if that is where the SM comes from?  Just curious.

20072902369-angle-xlarge.jpg

20072902369-detail1-xlarge.jpg

20072902369-front-xlarge.jpg

Thank you Sparquelito,

I'm a HUGE fan of SD Pickups, and I absolutely LOVE how my JB/Jazz Hotrodder set sounds in my LP, but I just wasn't sure how the JB and the Cool Rails would sound together.  I can hear them on the SD site, but it's not "Exactly" the same as hearing them all together in this platform.  

Yeah, I really dig the Headstock Fret Markers as well, at first glance they look like Chili Peppers to me, I thought it looked really cool!!

Edited by GIJoeJarhead

• 3 weeks later...

Check your bridge pickup wiring. Mine came wired incorrectly from the factory. I needed to rewire  the toggle switch and it is night and day difference.

Here is link to the wiring diagram I used. The SM-1 has a On/On mini toggle swith. So it is series/parallel 

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/forum/the-pickup-lounge/328508-trying-to-understand-why-how-the-sd-parallel-wiring-scheme-diagram-works#post5550977

Edited by Tom99SS

• 2 weeks later...

About a month into it now, and all I can say is WOW!!!  This is the 7th different electric guitar I have owned, I still have 5 of those and I must say this thing really shines amongst the line-up.  It is a bit heavier than everything else, only my PRS SE is close in weight, and I kind of like the weight, really.  The neck is SO fast, I mean it is REALLY easy to get into the 17-24 frets with zero issues, of course I have big hands, too, so that helps.  The action is awesome, very smooth with zero fret buzz, only my HLK Tele is comparable on the action.  The cool rails are SO awesome, especially the neck pickup, the tone is incredible.  The JB in the bridge gives all the punch and low end growl anyone could want, and moving into the 4th position is by far my favorite place to rock out!!  I have not yet fully figured out how the mini-toggle works, so anyone with first hand knowledge, please enlighten this newb to the shred world!  This Ax has sustain for days, I mean this thing will ring out like there is no tomorrow, I hit a 12th fret harmonic and I still hear it the next day! LOL  Only my Mitchell MD400 is close on sustain.

I played through the first 7 or 8 measures of Metallica's Welcome Home (Sanitorium) on 4 of my guitars and only my LP and this Kramer are made for this song (I have a JB/Jazz Combo in my LP), with the SM-1 having better sustain and a better high end tone with the cool rails!! 

I'm hooked on this guitar, seriously.  It is simply amazing, so anyone thinking about it, don't think . . . pull the trigger, you won't be disappointed!!