Gibson Brands Forums

1996 Gibon Chet Atkins SST "Cracks?"

I posted this in the main forum, but just saw this Repair & Resoration forum (Im new) - so thought I would post again...It wont let me post any more high res photos, so 2 larger ones are in this dropbox...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zen60ljxj4dm0m5/AAC4t0KKxT4XLJrAX6SGmrk6a?dl=0

Hello,

I recently inherited a 1996 Chet Atkins SST (Serial # 91666584)

The guitar plays beautifully and I LOVE it….but I noticed that throughout the top of the body, it has these slightly raised lines (as shown below)…almost as if the top coat finish of paint is cracking (but has not physically cracked through the paint)….You CAN feel SOME of the bigger lines when you rub your fingers over them….As far as I know, the guitar has never been dropped and shows NO signs of any other damage…

I am just curious if you can tell me what this is from? 

It doesn’t bother me - I just wanted to know if this is something that they were known to do after 25 or so years - and last but not least - is there any way to fix it IF it does finally crack through the finish of the guitar?

Thank you so much for any info!

crack2.jpg

11 hours ago, Leonard McCoy said:

This is the start of some beautiful finish checking.

really? Ive never owned a guitar this old, some guy in another forum said it looked like glue joints or stress or something much worse...

should I be concerned? Would someone pay $$$ for a guitar in this condition?