Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic Archtop

Mark Lee

Does anyone know where I can get an acoustic archtop with a 25.5 or 25.75 scale and a 17+ inch wide body and 3.5 body depth? I dont mind if its laminated or solid, pressed or carved. I have a mental picture of my ultimate archtop but the closest I have come is a vintage 1940 Epiphone Emperor, which is worth a considerable investment.

Also, has anyone ever seen an archtop bigger than a Stromberg Master 400? like with a 20 inch wide body?

I can't think of a purely acoustic such as you mention but, having read your very impressive list on the 'What do you play' thread, a semi-acoustic jazz instrument you might like to consider could be the Fender Montego I or II. If you can find one, an even better bet would be the Fender LTD...

If you don't already know (you probably do!); the Montego was introduced in '69, had an arched spruce top, flame maple back and sides, rosewood bridge (adjustable for height only), 25.5" scale length, was 17" wide, 5.5" deep, maple neck with ebony fingerboard and Australian MOP block markers, pearloid Grovers, a hand cut ivory(!) nut.

The LTD was a hand-carved version of the Montego but it had a floating pick-up, with the Vol/Tone controls fitted on to the scratchplate therefore taking full advantage of the acoustic properties of the instrument. Minor detail differences such as ebony bridge, 24k gold-plate etc...

All these instruments were individually made by a European luthier called Roger Rossmeisl who had been the original luthier for Rickenbacker in the 1930's.

The LTD was, at the time of it's introduction, "...the most expensive commercially available guitar ever..."

I think I've found what I'm looking for, The Eastman AR-805/18. Its an 18 inch non cutaway long scale archtop. anyone else tried or owned one? If I can find one, I would replace the tailpiece with a metal one and the pickguard with a Gibson style one.

Archived