Gibson Brands Forums

Real or fake? new to me late 2018 production j-45 studio walnut

Tomcruiseiscraz

Just bought this (2018) j-45 studio. Has some issues

Do new gibson acoustics say 'made in usa' on back of headstock? Mine doesn't. Serial number on headstock and on sticker inside DO match though.

Biggest thing was the guy I bought it from 'barely' played it, and had basically everything as is new, has a gibson strap, hardshell case, etc. but the paperwork of a gibson inspection checklist serial number does NOT match the guitar. from what this guy told me, he bought the guitar off the rack at guitar center and the employee just put it in a case with all the accessories. The paperwork that doesn't match the guitar is for a j-45 studio sunburst custom or something, a manufacture date like 2 weeks off from the the one this gut was selling..

I went ahead and bought the guitar. I talked him down on price and it was a good deal. To me, there are a LOT of fake j-45 standards trying to pull off the sunburst classic mahogany look. But i haven't yet read or come across j-45 studio walnut fakes yet.

Thoughts?

https://imgur.com/a/32ftGkB

It looks good to me, this sounds like the guy at guitar center probably just screwed up and gave him the card from another guitar unfortunately.

I can't really see in that picture but it looks like there's other printing on the back of the head stock. Sometimes it's very lightly embosses and once finished can be tough to see.

How's is play and sound?

the typing is the serial number. it's pressed in, not too much though. that serial number matches the sticker inside the guitar.

It's a....good guitar. It needs new strings and action fixed BADLY. honestly, my taylor plays like a dream, but I took a chance with this j-45. I'll get new strings, a setup, oil the fretboard, and really give it a good shot before I pass judgement. 

I nabbed it for $800 

I can see the serial number across the top (i mean i can't read it but i can see that it's there) but it looks like there's something else embossed maybe an inch below it - could just be an artifact of the wood or something like that too.

2 minutes ago, jchabalk said:

I can see the serial number across the top (i mean i can't read it but i can see that it's there) but it looks like there's something else embossed maybe an inch below it - could just be an artifact of the wood or something like that too.

You're totally right. I didn't even notice. It lightly says (I think bc of the walnut) Made in USA and 2019 underneath it. serial number says manufactured in like oct/nov of 2018 so I assume they call those 2019 models? 

That sounds right, i don't know how they juggle the model years but being made at the end of 2018 could definitely be an early run of 2019 guitars.

you know how to decode the serial number right? If you happen to use a mac you can do the julian date translation on command line with "cal -j 2018" to get the day number.

The wrong inspection checklist is from a case mixup. It’s happened to me a coupla times - they put the guitar on display and when it’s sold they can’t find the right case because some doofus paired it with the wrong guitar and no one noticed. This can be a headache if the guitar had a COA.

Guitar is most likely legit.

The guitar is genuine. So many tells appearance wise if you know what to search for...the Chibson fakes never get anywhere near the look of the real thing. As has been said, the inspection card mixup is down to the GC staffer grabbing an otherwise identical case for a different J45.

Get a decent setup put on it and enjoy! I owned one of those when they were called a J15 and loved it. Walnut is such a bright and expressive tonewood. It will give you a different tone and feel to your Taylor which you'll really come to appreciate.

11 hours ago, Jinder said:

The guitar is genuine. So many tells appearance wise if you know what to search for...the Chibson fakes never get anywhere near the look of the real thing. As has been said, the inspection card mixup is down to the GC staffer grabbing an otherwise identical case for a different J45.

Get a decent setup put on it and enjoy! I owned one of those when they were called a J15 and loved it. Walnut is such a bright and expressive tonewood. It will give you a different tone and feel to your Taylor which you'll really come to appreciate.

the j45 body shape is a personal fav. The fact that it real to me, not knowing what to look for otherwise is all I can offer. 

I especially liked the above comment about the walnut used in your guitar. Personally very helpful. 

to original poster sounds like you got a great price on a nice guitar with little chance of it being a fake. The best course of action will probably telling over time if any additional info comes available. Until then I don’t see any reason not to enjoy your new instrument. Cheers