Gibson Brands Forums

Seriously What Is Wrong With People

Sgt. Pepper

I'm selling something on Reverb and twice I have been b-tiched at in messages because they have to pay sales tax if they buy it. I don't dictate Reverbs policies. If you have an issue call I-800- Etsy. They bought Reverb and that was when it changed.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

7 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'm selling something on Reverb and twice I have been b-tiched at in messages because they have to pay sales tax if they buy it. I don't dictate Reverbs policies. If you have an issue call I-800- Etsy. They bought Reverb and that was when it changed.

Death and Taxes. They've been living under a rock apparently. The days of Internet tax free sales are gone like a fart in the wind.

It’s don’t believe that you can even control whether or not the taxes go into the total at their checkout. And if they were smart, they’d do a little algebra and calculate the total price they’re willing to pay and make an offer where they are paying no more than what they want to that includes tax. That’s worked for me a couple times. But you know people are quick to pitch a bit** about things they don’t understand. It’s gotten messier on Reverb though since now they are technically doing it “right” with collecting taxes for sales and the fee increase that happened not that long ago. I don’t like to sell on Reverb. But I’ve got a few really nice guitars on Reverb as a buyer.

Edited by NighthawkChris

11 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

eBay has always been good to me as a seller. Reverb not so much

Really? How so.

I'm typically a buyer and have sold a few things on Reverb and no issues. There was one time a person purchased some Gibson embossed pickups from me at a well below market price, then PM'd me if I could knock off an additional $50 after he recieved them. I just told him ship them back to me for a refund, and I never heard back from him.

Other than that so far so good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

It's just a button I push to see if you're online. 

Oh you and JVC must each have one. I'd give you the p-oo emoji but emojis are ________________. (insert expletive here)

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I think Reverb is in ebay's pocket. Not sure how, but consider:

Ebay's selling fees were at about 5%.

Reverb opens up, charges 3.5%.

Ebay eventually drops to 3.5% on instruments to match.

Ebay and Reverb both increase to 5% within a month of each other.

I complained to Reverb and they basically told that (a) they plan to increase advertising so I will, in effect, get more exposure and therefore more sales (to which I called BS) and (b) I could go take a flying ____ at a rolling donut if I didn't like it.

Ebay tells me the same thing just by being ebay. 22 years, 9500 transactions. I've made a lot of money but I owe them nothing. They were well paid for doing nothing other than hosting my photos and ad.  I stick around but my coat is zipped and I sit close to the exit.

31 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

I think Reverb is in ebay's pocket. Not sure how, but consider:

Ebay's selling fees were at about 5%.

Reverb opens up, charges 3.5%.

Ebay eventually drops to 3.5% on instruments to match.

Ebay and Reverb both increase to 5% within a month of each other.

I complained to Reverb and they basically told that (a) they plan to increase advertising so I will, in effect, get more exposure and therefore more sales (to which I called BS) and (b) I could go take a flying ____ at a rolling donut if I didn't like it.

Ebay tells me the same thing just by being ebay. 22 years, 9500 transactions. I've made a lot of money but I owe them nothing. They were well paid for doing nothing other than hosting my photos and ad.  I stick around but my coat is zipped and I sit close to the exit.

Unfortunately there are not that many options.

Sell on Craigslist. Then you have to meet up someone somewhere and who know what character will show up.

Take it to CG or another brick and mortar store and get rectally probed in the deal.

Reverb and Ebay and pay fees to them and get b-itched at for them charging sales tax and you have to ship it 99% of the time.

There might be a few other selling sites not sure.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Here is another example I just ran into. I was looking at 000-18's on Reverb. One guy is selling a used one that is only a year or so old. It is a standard model and he wants $700 more than what I could buy a new one for at any guitar store with a warranty. I messaged him and asked why so much for it. He told me he paid more for it and wanted to get what he paid for it back. It doesn't work that way. Used is used no matter if its mint or not. That is your problem you got taken for a ride not mine.

The second you drive your car off the lot the value already went down. Its not vintage and that is different.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

IME, there's some listings that are absurd and some that are steals.  It may take patience to sell something as the right person has to see what you got to offer.  I avoid dealing with people who say try to sell me a LP Studio for $1500 because it is "practically brand new".  Used is used...  Yes condition warrants the price a bit, but for the "new" price, I don't get that return period, warranty, etc.  Ignore those sellers if you're buying, ignore the tire kickers and low-ballers when you're selling.  Just keep the listing up and respond with discretion.  Eventually what you have should sell if it is priced right.  The 'make offer' option is nice, but you have to accept that you're not going to get the full listing price if you're open to these.  I like the 'make offer' because it entices people to get interested in making a deal.  Maybe you get a bite, maybe you're dealing with a tire kicker.  I personally don't like selling because I prefer not to deal, but sometimes it's nice to put some coin in your pocket for something that was otherwise collecting dust. 

There does seem to be a trend lately where sellers are setting their prices closer to the initial new price.  and you're right, it don't usually work that way.

No one with a clue will spend $2,200 on a used instrument that is going new for $2,400.  ...unless you're hard pressed to find any available, and you're loosing sleep over a flare up of GAS...

A fool and his money are soon parted

I've sold a ton of stuff on eBay over the years but never Reverb.

I knew this one potential eBay buyer from my old motorcycle biz and this guy was a YUGE PITA. 

I had a book on MV Agustas for sale for $50.  He writes me and says he wants the book but doesn't want to pay that much.

I wrote back "then don't buy it".

I never heard from him again, thank god.

5 minutes ago, kidblast said:

There does seem to be a trend lately where sellers are setting their prices closer to the initial new price.  and you're right, it don't usually work that way.

No one with a clue will spend $2,200 on a used instrument that is going new for $2,400.  ...unless you're hard pressed to find any available, and you're loosing sleep over a flare up of GAS...

A fool and his money are soon parted

Sure, I have no problem giving you $700 more than a new one and pay $150 to ship it too, and get no warranty. I was born yesterday by the way, but  just over 54 years and 95 days ago yesterday.

Your dumb a-ss paid to much for it and you most likely wont sell it for that. But good on ya for trying.

2 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

IME, there's some listings that are absurd and some that are steals.  It may take patience to sell something as the right person has to see what you got to offer.  I avoid dealing with people who say try to sell me a LP Studio for $1500 because it is "practically brand new".  Used is used...  Yes condition warrants the price a bit, but for the "new" price, I don't get that return period, warranty, etc.  Ignore those sellers if you're buying, ignore the tire kickers and low-ballers when you're selling.  Just keep the listing up and respond with discretion.  Eventually what you have should sell if it is priced right.  The 'make offer' option is nice, but you have to accept that you're not going to get the full listing price if you're open to these.  I like the 'make offer' because it entices people to get interested in making a deal.  Maybe you get a bite, maybe you're dealing with a tire kicker.  I personally don't like selling because I prefer not to deal, but sometimes it's nice to put some coin in your pocket for something that was otherwise collecting dust. 

Sage advice. Further, I've tried to sell something on Reverb a few times, for what I'm selling, it just doesn't make sense financially. The fees are crazy. Either I have to eat them or, I have to try to bake them into my asking price plus ask the buyer to pay shipping on top of that. I hate to admit it but, much easier to sell/buy something like a guitar and/or amp on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace.

I've done a TON of buying/selling on both over Covid, only one issue.

• Like 1

Now this jizzlobber is getting back to me and asking what I'll pay for it. He initially wanted $3200. I don't think he is gonna like my message that back in 2016 when he got the guitar they went for around $2300, so I will pay less than that. I doubt he wants to take a $1000 hit if he indeed did pay anywhere near that much back them. I just suspect he thinks I am a fool who has never owed or bought or sold a CFM before.

He also asked me what I paid for my 000-28. Um, dude I'm looking at your 000-18 they are different and 28's are more, so its not relevant.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, pawlowski6132 said:

It's the law. Reverb is collecting the tax on behalf of the buyer and then paying them to the state where the buyer resides. This is the case with ALL law abiding websites. We have Amazon to thank for this.

Yep. I know. Not my first Reverb Rodeo.

Now he said he found the receipt,  and posted it in his pics with his address, and it says $2677 out the door with tax. It was $2459 before tax. Well back in 2016 they sold for $2250, and how do I know. I called the owner of a shop I go to who is an authorized dealer and he looked back in his records to 2016 and looked at what he sold one for.  And right now new they are $2499. You want $3200. I'll bet you do, but you wont get it and I wont pay it. 

Dude you were what's called ripped off by a guitar store. It happens.  I guess he thought he was dealing with a guy who knows nothing about Martins.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper