Gibson Brands Forums

Seriously What Is Wrong With People

Sgt. Pepper

yikes..  so yea,,  he won't want to hear it, but wouldn't somewhere around $1,500 be a reasonable ball park for an asking price? 

ya don't make money on selling guitars,,, ya loose money,  it's a fact of life when one does this. 

poor sod, has no clue..  if he really wants to sell it, he'll learn pretty fast what the rules of the road are...

26 minutes ago, kidblast said:

yikes..  so yea,,  he won't want to hear it, but wouldn't somewhere around $1,500 be a reasonable ball park for an asking price? 

ya don't make money on selling guitars,,, ya loose money,  it's a fact of life when one does this. 

poor sod, has no clue..  if he really wants to sell it, he'll learn pretty fast what the rules of the road are...

I've been back and forth with him messaging and he doesn't get it. I guess he thinks some one will hit buy it. I messaged him and told him what I would pay and now its crickets. He has a bunch of guitars for sale all overpriced, so he is just a greedy p-rick. The receipt said he got it in August of 2016.

He has a few year old J-45 for $3800 if anyone is interested, and a few year old HD-28 for 4k. New they are just over 3k.

A few of the guitars have been for sale for 6 months. I guess he thinks cause his stuff is in excellent condition it command more $ than something new.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I'd like to own another LP Personal. The first one I owned in the 80s, I traded a pile of junk for it in '85and sold it in '86 for $300. The second one was bought in 2000 from Daddy's Junky Music for $800 and sold it for around $1000 a few months later.

Now they're $5000. 

And up.

8 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

I'd like to own another LP Personal. The first one I owned in the 80s, I traded a pile of junk for it in '85and sold it in '86 for $300. The second one was bought in 2000 from Daddy's Junky Music for $800 and sold it for around $1000 a few months later.

Now they're $5000. 

And up.

Vintage, special runs and custom stuff can and does go up in value, but not a guitar that Martin makes that has never been out of production since since they first came out. And I can get a new one for over $700 less than he is asking and of course have a warranty on.

Is there really a place called Daddy's Junky Music? Killer name for a band.

If we get another stimlus check I think I will just call Jim at Winter Sound and  have him order me a BSN one.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Used to be. They had a string of stores in the northeast. Closest one was Portland (ME), the other end of the state...the "other" Maine. I never went into one but they had an online presence.

Not comparing the LP to a Martin, just bemoaning the massive jump in price. 

I just bought one of my old guitars back from a guy who also owns a clean 1979 Silverburst LP Custom. He bought it for $4500 and claims he got it on the cheap side. I sold an identical 1982 in 1993 for $400. And I think I made a profit on it!

4 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

Used to be. They had a string of stores in the northeast. Closest one was Portland (ME), the other end of the state...the "other" Maine. I never went into one but they had an online presence.

Not comparing the LP to a Martin, just bemoaning the massive jump in price. 

I just bought one of my old guitars back from a guy who also owns a clean 1979 Silverburst LP Custom. He bought it for $4500 and claims he got it on the cheap side. I sold an identical 1982 in 1993 for $400. And I think I made a profit on it!

I used to fly to Maine every so often when I was in the USCG to go work on CG boats. Been to Bar Harbor and Rockland. Just e-mailed Jim.

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I've been back and forth with him messaging and he doesn't get it. I guess he thinks some one will hit buy it. I messaged him and told him what I would pay and now its crickets. He has a bunch of guitars for sale all overpriced, so he is just a greedy p-rick. The receipt said he got it in August of 2016.

He has a few year old J-45 for $3800 if anyone is interested, and a few year old HD-28 for 4k. New they are just over 3k.

A few of the guitars have been for sale for 6 months. I guess he thinks cause his stuff is in excellent condition it command more $ than something new.

I hope he likes listing guitars and not selling guitars, cuz with his "business" model, he's probably going to die with them at the rate he's goin

41 minutes ago, pawlowski6132 said:

Don't hold your breath for that check.

I'm not and don't care if I get it or not. One way or three others I will get a 00 or 000. I'll pay a business owner I know and respect  2100  for a new one vs 3200 for a 4 year old used one any day of the week.

It's either give them 5% plus shipping plus insurance plus bump if you need it, or hang around at Starbucks waiting for some CraigTard to tell you he only has 225 on him would you take that for your 450 in a case guitar.

I sell things on Reverb because I can.  I'm not in it for the money so it is all good, just like selling or trading guitars has always been.

rct

4 minutes ago, rct said:

It's either give them 5% plus shipping plus insurance plus bump if you need it, or hang around at Starbucks waiting for some CraigTard to tell you he only has 225 on him would you take that for your 450 in a case guitar.

I sell things on Reverb because I can.  I'm not in it for the money so it is all good, just like selling or trading guitars has always been.

rct

I haven't done Craigslist since about 2010. I am not gonna meet up with some nut job even in pubic especially now.

No man, I've never had a success with Craigslist, not buying or selling.  I don't like selling guitars, I'd rather trade them, but I do like selling parts.  I've changed pickups a whole lot of times in the last few years or so because I can move them out of here on the Reverb machine.  It's beautiful, man.

rct

1 minute ago, rct said:

No man, I've never had a success with Craigslist, not buying or selling.  I don't like selling guitars, I'd rather trade them, but I do like selling parts.  I've changed pickups a whole lot of times in the last few years or so because I can move them out of here on the Reverb machine.  It's beautiful, man.

rct

I've only sold some household stuff on CL, never guitars.

17 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

I've bought a few things off reverb but never sold anything there.  This was when they were cheaper than ebay and it seemed like there was lots of stuff on there.  Bought a Reverb brand tuner for like $2.00 that was the worst tuner ever, lol.

Yeah those things were awful. I pitched it after it sort of let me know I was close to the note.

58 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I haven't done Craigslist since about 2010. I am not gonna meet up with some nut job even in pubic especially now.

We can't assume they're all  nutjobs. Almost 90% of what I buy/sell (too big or expensive  to ship items) I sell/buy on CL or Facebook Marketplace. 99.9% excellent transactions. I get it, everyone's experiences are different but, I think overall, it's a great option.

Edited by pawlowski6132

5 minutes ago, pawlowski6132 said:

Why do you assume they're a nutjob? Almost 90% of what I buy/sell (too big or expensive  to ship items) I sell/buy on CL or Facebook Marketplace. 99.9% excellent transactions. I get it, everyone's experiences are different but, I think overall, it's a great option.

They may not be but I'm not taking the chance. If you want to meet up at S'bucks with someone and have them hand you a fist full of dollars, and like rct said maybe show up short and try to get it for even cheaper, that is your choice.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

They may not be but I'm not taking the chance. If you want to meet up at S'bucks with someone and have them hand you a fist full of dollars that is your choice.

I'd say it's worth the chance. There's a very low probability that anything bad will happen and the reward is worth taking that chance.

4 minutes ago, pawlowski6132 said:

I'd say it's worth the chance. There's a very low probability that anything bad will happen and the reward is worth taking that chance.

And on Reverb or ebay I do not have to see them and get paid before I ship it, and if I buy on those sites I'm protected if someone is dishonest about what they are selling or don't ship it at all. It has never happened to me but I am sure it has to someone or that policy would not be there.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper