Gibson Brands Forums

Seriously What Is Wrong With People

Sgt. Pepper

20 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

And on Reverb or ebay I do not have to see them and get paid before I ship it, and if I buy on those sites I'm protected if someone is dishonest about what they are selling or don't ship it at all. It has never happened to me but I am sure it has to someone or that policy would not be there.

Agreed. But, what I can't reconcile on selling on Reverb/Ebay is, let's say I have a guitar with market value of $1,000. If I sell it on Reverb/Ebay i will only get $965 of that +/- differencce between what I collected for shipping plus what I paid for shipping. Then I have to pack (maybe go out and buy packing material) and go drop off at UPS/FedEx, etc. Then, hope that it arrives w/o damage. If not, there's a whole 'nother headache. Then I have to reimburse for full amount and try to deal with the claims process with the shipper.

Me personally, I would rather deal with someone in person. I'm only dealing with someone that is interested in High End Guitars, Bikes, Stereo Equipment and Photography stuff. The demographic of the folks I meet are relatively safe. I never meet with someone who I haven't had a decent phone conversation with. I use my judgement and avoid risky or murky situations. After awhile you get a good sense of peoples intentions or credibility.

FWIW, just last weekend, I traded my '82 335 for a '59 330. It was great. We even had a beer after and talked shop. Many stories like that.

My son wanted to sell his Xbox on CL. I told him forget it. No way in hell.

Edited by pawlowski6132

22 minutes ago, pawlowski6132 said:

Agreed. But, what I can't reconcile on selling on Reverb/Ebay is, let's say I have a guitar with market value of $1,000. If I sell it on Reverb/Ebay i will only get $965 of that +/- differencce between what I collected for shipping plus what I paid for shipping. Then I have to pack (maybe go out and buy packing material) and go drop off at UPS/FedEx, etc. Then, hope that it arrives w/o damage. If not, there's a whole 'nother headache. Then I have to reimburse for full amount and try to deal with the claims process with the shipper.

Me personally, I would rather deal with someone in person. I'm only dealing with someone that is interested in High End Guitars, Bikes, Stereo Equipment and Photography stuff. The demographic of the folks I meet are relatively safe. I never meet with someone who I haven't had a decent phone conversation with. I use my judgement and avoid risky or murky situations. After awhile you get a good sense of peoples intentions or credibility.

FWIW, just last weekend, I traded my '82 335 for a '59 330. It was great. We even had a beer after and talked shop. Many stories like that.

My son wanted to sell his Xbox on CL. I told him forget it. No way in hell.

Trading is nice. I traded my Gibson BB King for a Martin 000-28 a few years back, and a ES-335 for a Strat and Martin D-15M. The problem is in my area there are not that many stores and I will never take my guitar to a brick and mortar store. My doctor checking my prostate is the only one who is going to do me like that, I'm not about to let GC do it to me.

I always insure what I ship for the full amount.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, brad1 said:

you're a prick

Thanks I get that a lot and if you can figure out how to ship something your a moron. And its Retired Senior Chief prick to you.

What does USPS mean? It's so confusing.

Do you have a sense of humor? Wait I know the answer.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

7 minutes ago, pawlowski6132 said:

Huh????

Maybe enough drinking for the day?

Bong hits. Weed is gonna be legal for recreational use in VA soon. We just went medical.

I'm no good but at least I admit it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 1/24/2021 at 4:56 PM, sparquelito said:

People are horrible. 

I much prefer dogs. 

😐

I gave you & Karloff both pluses. I couldn't agree more. I might be losing my best buddy this year as he has been getting bad. He can still walk by having meds and has arthritis and fatty tumors all over. 

7 hours ago, Retired said:

I gave you & Karloff both pluses. I couldn't agree more. I might be losing my best buddy this year as he has been getting bad. He can still walk by having meds and has arthritis and fatty tumors all over. 

I'm praying for your best buddy, and for you too. 
I am blessed in that my eldest buddy is still able to walk about pretty spry. 
He just turned 10 the other day. 

🙂

• Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 4:50 PM, ksdaddy said:

I think Reverb is in ebay's pocket. Not sure how, but consider:

Ebay's selling fees were at about 5%.

Reverb opens up, charges 3.5%.

Ebay eventually drops to 3.5% on instruments to match.

Ebay and Reverb both increase to 5% within a month of each other.

I complained to Reverb and they basically told that (a) they plan to increase advertising so I will, in effect, get more exposure and therefore more sales (to which I called BS) and (b) I could go take a flying ____ at a rolling donut if I didn't like it.

Ebay tells me the same thing just by being ebay. 22 years, 9500 transactions. I've made a lot of money but I owe them nothing. They were well paid for doing nothing other than hosting my photos and ad.  I stick around but my coat is zipped and I sit close to the exit.

Don't you have something like a Competition Commission (uk: formerly the Monopolies and Mergers Commission) in the US? The sort of body that polices cartels etc?

5 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Don't you have something like a Competition Commission (uk: formerly the Monopolies and Mergers Commission) in the US? The sort of body that polices cartels etc?

Yes we do - and they don't do squat.  Last monopoly they broke up was AT&T in the early 1980s.  Disney - owns ABC, use to own Yahoo. Owns a dozen media related companies.  Amazon owns a major NewsPaper in DC.   It's all a joke. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rct said:

Since most people do not know what a monopoly actually is, and what any anti-monopoly government entity does, it is a pointless discussion in this country.

rct

Its a board game with a guy with a cool mustache, top hat, and sometimes he wears a monocle and it had these little plastic houses and hotels.

I want to be either the car or the dog, being the iron was lame.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Pinch said:

My favorite listings are where "doesn't have any strings on it" is listed as a selling point. Or where the guitar is stood next to a radiator. 

What about its is mint except for the professionally fixed top crack.

No it’s a used guitar with a crack that has been fixed. Mint not hardly.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

My favorites are "rare" and "vintage". 

Just list the guitar and disclose anything wrong/modified as concisely as possible.  I don't care for spec listings because if I am looking for something used, typically I should already know what the specs are supposed to be.  I am not interested in reading any stories how the guitar has been kept under a bed for a decade, just tell me what you're selling and take plenty of pictures showing all the good stuff and wear-and-tear.  I suppose I don't mind a little history - i.e. second owner, bought at such and such a place.  I don't need a sales pitch that this guitar is "killer" and "have too many in the stable"and "set up by professional luthier"...  We know that you're selling whatever it is for some cash first and foremost.  So list what you're selling and be honest about what you're selling.  The better condition of what you're selling should have less description.  As the saying goes, a picture says a thousand words.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/28/2021 at 5:42 AM, sparquelito said:

I'm praying for your best buddy, and for you too. 
I am blessed in that my eldest buddy is still able to walk about pretty spry. 
He just turned 10 the other day. 

🙂

Thanks Sparky, We still have Sundance. I was for sure we would have to put him down.  He's been to the vet twice and I was praying for him with all my heart, and the meds he had at first never worked. Now he's been running around like a pup lately so what a difference so far. Deb and I are just happy for him and planning on a trip to the Black Hills with Sundance and the 2 grandkids in May. Think I mentioned we purchased a Subaru Ascent and will be taking it. We bought it last November and I only have 300 miles on it,  sits in the garage mostly so it won't get dirty, Lol. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 1:01 AM, ghost_of_fl said:

"15 year old guitar, never played, never left it's case" = it was harder to learn than I thought it would be so this guitar sat neglected in a hot storage locker. 

"Plastic is still on pickguard!" 

Translation: it's now merged into a composite, good luck getting it off 

What's up with everyone trying to sell their late 70s early 80s LP Custom Silverbursts and blowing up the prices?  I get it about the whole Adam Jones - Gibson thing right now, but man, these old LPs with severe buckle rash, chips and dings are going for crazy dough just because of AJ and the flipping silver finish?  I am not looking to get my hands on one, but just because it has that nothing-special silver finish that it demands a few thousand more. 

Oh well, I get the whole in-demand thing and seems like some sort of fad - IDK.  I guess my question is where these silverburst guitars always going for the prices they go for today or is it just that whole AJ thing that blasted up the prices?  I never was interested in these before therefore I never minded looking at the going rates in the past.  Apparently, the prices are right though, because there are some people spending the dough on these today.  To add, who am I to say anything bad because I buy expensive guitars too - not knocking anyone if it's their thing.  Just curious if the prices are the way they are today because of this AJ appeal and what others may thing on the topic.  Maybe the wrong thread to ask this sort of thing...