Gibson Brands Forums

New ES-335 DOT.. with block inlays?

S_R

Greetings from Canada.

So I just picked up my new ES 335 I had ordered in to Long and McQuade. Absolutely beautiful guitar, set up perfectly and plays and sounds like a dream. I am 100% happy with it.

I'm also a little confused though. I had ordered the DOT version, in Vintage Burst (https://www.long-mcquade.com/181700/Guitars/Hollow-body-Electric-Guitars/Gibson/ES-335-Dot---Vintage-Burst.htm), as I couldn't justify the extra $800 for the block inlays and AAA top on the 'figured' version. However, my guitar arrived with block inlays and a pretty boldly flamed top. The guy at Long and McQuade was just as confused as I was -- the model number and price all indicated it should be a DOT. And the vintage burst colour isn't even offered as an option for the 'figured' version, so I don't believe they just sent out the wrong guitar at the warehouse.

All I can think of with regards to an explanation is that perhaps -- since the QC checklist is dated late November 2020 -- they were using up excess stock and fulfilling some DOT orders with block-inlayed necks and figured tops before the end of the year?

Again, I'm not at all unhappy, just curious. Seems like I got a deal and a relatively unique guitar. Would anyone have any ideas how or why this guitar exists?

20210124_120507.jpg

20210124_120558 (1).jpg

Edited by S_R
typo

These things do happen.  During the late great CME blowout, I bought an ES that because of some identity problem ended up in the back of the Gibson Memphis warehouse then at the back of the CME warehouse.  Long story short, the box and all the  paperwork INCLUDING the COA says it is a 2016 "1959 ES-175D  VINTAGE BURST VOS"  .  In reality, it is a 2015 1954 ES-175D Dark Burst VOS.  Serial number matches everything so no problem there.  I got it amazingly cheap due to the blowout and additional circumstances.   It is one of only 50 made.  Of course now, that actually may be 51?  I was finally able to convince Gibson they screwed up.  But they would not send me a correct COA.  But I have the email confirmation and won't have any problems because of that.  Fabulous 175, BTW.

ACtC-3dExQ8Q5Uh09opEk7mqMZxbqFaGovp2yYQD

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wmachine said:

ACtC-3dExQ8Q5Uh09opEk7mqMZxbqFaGovp2yYQD

That is a real beauty!  I know a fellow who has an original mid '50s ES-175 with P-90s, which he has owned & played forever.  A wonderful guitar that I've had the opportunity to test drive.  As a lover of P-90s, if I were to buy a recent issue ES-175, your exact model would fit my ideal perfectly!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...