Gibson Brands Forums

This Happened Yesterday

Sgt. Pepper

9 minutes ago, jedzep said:

Haaha! Very inspiring. Good work.

Of course, we all know there aren't slums in Newport News.

I wound not go down by the numbered streets of NN, down by the shipyard with out my 9mm. You may not make it back.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 minutes ago, duane v said:

That looks yummy 

It took many attempts when I first stared to figure out how to make good dough. I got it down now and if any of you make your own, Ricotta on a pizza takes it to the next level. That is what those big white blobs are in the second photo of the pizza's.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

48 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I've made a lot of home pizza.  To make it fairly round (a different way than the video above):

Start with a ball.  Now start pressing to flatten around the edges.  Let the middle stay as a lump of dough.  Just concentrate on the edges, going round and round evenly.  You can let gravity do some of the work by lifting the dough and holding it by the flattened edge, but be careful it doesn't tear or stretch too much in that spot.    Just keep flattening the edges and working your way inward until that middle lump starts to flatten.    When the dough stops flattening toward the edges, start pressing that middle lump until it's flat too.  You can work that remaining lump towards any parts that ended up too thin.  

Ricotta definitely kicks it up a notch.  Here are a few more tips:

1.  Use marinara.  Not regular pasta sauce and DEFINITELY not "Pizza Quick" or any store bought sauce that is intended for pizza.  They are all bad (IMO).   I like Tuttorosso brand marinara.  

2.  Making dough is fun, but for a break or for the sake of speed - ask you're nearest pizzaria if they will sell you uncooked dough.  I have done that many times - never got a "no".  

3.  Less is more with toppings.  I've made the mistake many times of putting too much pepperoni (for example) and ended up with a greasy mess.  

4.  Mozzarella:   Low-moisture shredded mozzarella.  No pizza blend.  

5.  Cooking at super high temp works well if you have a real pizza oven.  Your oven at home can't do what those ovens do.  If the crust isn't coming out right, try lowering the temperature next time (kind of counterintuitive).  

6.  Garlic Pepper.  If you never heard of it, check it out.  You won't be disappointed:

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/d7c56a34-f3f3-40f5-8a9a-e51bce4ec1fd_1.eb20068b086e8c7bb71970bef36f93f7.jpeg

7.  Taco pizza:   Take your left over taco meat from last night and use it as a topping.  Instead of straight mozzarella, mix in some taco/nacho blended cheese.  You don't want to skip the mozzarella altogether - it's better with both mixed.  Other than that, make it exactly the same way  (marinara and all) and then top with the taco meat.  

Taco Pizza is an oxymoron and for me just a no. I love pep, mush, sausage and onion on pizza. And I put Ricotta on the one with sausage and onion and it kicks it up. I also do love a Margarita pizza with basil on it. My brother is pineapple and Canadian bacon guy. Sometimes we use white sauce.

Yes to many topping will ruin the pizza. The crust is the star off the show.

I use the fresh buffalo mozz and the low moisture stuff.

I found a pizza sauce that is Vodka Sauce made for pizza. I've tried marinara in a pinch its just to watery for me.

I have used that pre-made dough you recommended and it is good when I am lazy,

I also have a pizza stone and have mats for the grill and have done it on the BBQ too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

20 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

yeah that is my only problem with the marinara - some brands are more watery than other tho .... what is the brand of the vodka sauce you use?  I would give it a shot.  

I'll look when I get home tonight. It is the same company I get the white sauce from. I get it at a grocery store in VA called Food Lion. I may have seen it in Kroger's as well.

6 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Well I'm in New York so it shouldn't be too hard to find.  🙂 I'll give it a shot next time.  

The white is good to when  I do make it. They also have a Buffalo one and I have not tried it nor do I want to.

Not sure if I want to try to make the Wolfgang Puck California Pizza with BBQ sauce, Chicken, red onion, cilantro and smoked gouda and mozz. The pizza gods might strike me down mid roll.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper