Gibson Brands Forums

Amplify Acoustic?

pawlowski6132

18 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yeah, you don't need no stinking pickup.

I have an ES 335 knock off, and put a cheap, easily removable pick-up on my Washburn acoustic parlour (so I can sit in on our 11 year-old Grand-Daughter's guitar lessons-she uses a Squier Mustang electric that I bought her).

Those are all the pick-ups I require, so there is no need to add them to either of my other acoustics.

RBSinTo

2 hours ago, pawlowski6132 said:

Well, I was looking for a more versatile option (mic) as my other acoustic has F-Holes.

Didn’t realize you had an archtop and a flat-top guitar.  A basic “Cling On” guitar pickup sells for about $60 to $70.  It involves putting a small magnet that comes with it inside your guitars, stuck on by putty, so it’s not permanent.  Then, the Cling On pickup goes outside the guitar’s top over the small magnet inside th guitar.   Extra magnets are inexpensively available for another guitar.  Then you just switch the pickup between both guitars.  You have to clip the cord around the strap button or strap so gravity doesn’t pull the pickup down.  

The Cling On pickup is really just a microphone that sticks to the guitar via the magnet stuck inside the guitar.  It sounds good, just like a microphone mic’ing a guitar.

For info visit/:  www.ClingOn.co

(that’s co at the end not com)

I’d personally still suggest the Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker Sound Hole pickup for your flat top guitar and then the Cling On one for the archtop.  I use that set up.

Hope this helps.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

As you can see by all the responses there are many options.  As to your original question of an amp that could take a microphone to play your guitars into I suggest the AER 60.  It has two channels one will accept a regular quarter inch cable plug, the other channel will also accept that or an XLR plug.  So no matter what type of plug your microphone has it will accept either one.  The amp is designed with the two channels so that you play guitar through one channel, and sing into a mic through the other channel.  It is a small light weight amp that has a lot of features like eq on both channels, built in effects (2 different reverbs, a delay, and a chorus) a headphone jack, line out, effects send and receive, a DI out so it is very versatile.  They are not inexpensive however.

As to the discussion of sound hole pickups for your acoustic (not the archtop) I like the Dean Markley ProMag for an accurate reproduction of your acoustic guitar's sound.  Different models are sold at Guitar Center from about $35 and up.