Gibson Brands Forums

Handsome Herringbone AJ

Mr. Paul

On 1/30/2021 at 11:22 AM, fortyearspickn said:

I've got a J-45 Custom with herringbone binding.  i love it.  Makes it just a little bit different.  Abalone rosette.   

What is really amazing - is when you can find two Gibson guitars that are actually The Same ! 

If it's Rosewood with inlays in the bridge and a special inlay on the headstock, I had one just like it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dave F said:

If it's Rosewood with inlays in the bridge and a special inlay on the headstock, I had one just like it.

Yes and No.   YES:  . herringbone binding on body; abalone rosette, inlays on the bridge..  Same type design but smaller  for the Fret Markers.  (I think they called them SnowFlakes or Lucky Charms?)   A fleur de lis  type design on the headstock which was designed by Ren Fergusson.   NO - mine is Koa b/s.    The first one I grab 3/4 of the time.  Would be the last one I'd let go ! 

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Yes and No.   YES:  . herringbone binding on body; abalone rosette, inlays on the bridge..  Same type design but smaller  for the Fret Markers.  (I think they called them SnowFlakes or Lucky Charms?)   A fleur de lis  type design on the headstock which was designed by Ren Fergusson.   NO - mine is Koa b/s.    The first one I grab 3/4 of the time.  Would be the last one I'd let go ! 

I dig just black pickgurads. Never liked the tiger stripped ones or tortoise shell.

8 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I dig just black pick guards. Never liked the tiger stripped ones or tortoise shell.

I find I like them all. I recently made a few pick guards for a custom L00 to see which one I like. I liked the black and darker tiger stripe. On advise from a couple members I went with the tiger stripe. I've seen plenty black guards on Gibson electrics and elevated pick guards but I don't recall seeing a black one glued on. I've seen plenty Martin's with black ones.

Pick guard

Pick guard

TS L00