Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson acoustic never got enough attention in my opinion

Revelation

13 minutes ago, kidblast said:

last time I saw a photo of Mr Howe he looked quite a bit like Sméagol.. this aint that..

I thought he looked like one of our founding fathers, and looked just as old as they would be, if alive.

iX6I7yo.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I thought he looked like one of our founding fathers, and looked just as old as they would be, if alive.

iX6I7yo.jpg

I can almost imagine Franklin, Jefferson, Washington & Adams (Cool Band name) with Guitars strapped on in Rock poses....  LOL

I came to the acoustic guitar a bit late, at the age of twenty in 1971.  I was immediately interested in the construction of the instrument, and the quality names were Martin, Gibson, and Guild - in that order.  Beyond that, it was the decade & rise of pacific rim imports.  The big three suddenly found themselves trying to recapture market share, and for my money, Guild was providing the highest quality product at affordable price points.  I ended up owning four Guilds during the ‘70s, along with a number of Gibson’s & one Martin.

Today, those three makers remain at the top of my list, but their preferential order has changed.  Now it’s Gibson & Guild, with Martin a distant third.

18 minutes ago, bobouz said:

I came to the acoustic guitar a bit late, at the age of twenty in 1971.  I was immediately interested in the construction of the instrument, and the quality names were Martin, Gibson, and Guild - in that order.  Beyond that, it was the decade & rise of pacific rim imports.  The big three suddenly found themselves trying to recapture market share, and for my money, Guild was providing the highest quality product at affordable price points.  I ended up owning four Guilds during the ‘70s, along with a number of Gibson’s & one Martin.

Today, those three makers remain at the top of my list, but their preferential order has changed.  Now it’s Gibson & Guild, with Martin a distant third.

I’m pretty sure the other 2 forums would have their brand of choice in a different order than yours.

24 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I’m pretty sure the other 2 forums would have their brand of choice in a different order than yours.

Speaking of Forums,  I was trying to put together a list of guitar forums and note if they display a Brand in their name if they Builder or fan sponsored. Here's some with my interest and  I am a member on quite a few of them, I'm sure there are more. Very few are builder sponsored. I could not find anything on a few of the brands mentioned on this forum but quite a few of them sponsor a Face Book page (not wild about that).  I think my biggest surprise are  the absence  of company sponsored  forums from  Martin  (I have a few), Taylor (I've had a few - down to one), Fender ( I belonged to one when it was active) , Gretsch and Guild.

https://forum.gibson.com       Gibson sponsored

https://www.collingsforum.net/forum/     Collins sponsored

Fender.com    Fender sponsored (closed down this past year)

https://www.gretsch-talk.com/      ??

http://gretschpages.com/

https://www.guitarforums.com/

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/

https://www.thegearpage.net/

https://umgf.com/

https://umgf.com/

https://letstalkguild.com/ltg/index.php     ??????

http://www.takamineforum.com/forum3/  looks like Takamine sponsored

http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I’m only referring to my personal preferences, which of course is based on what works best for me given my playing style, and the instruments I’ve had the pleasure to play.  Indeed, today we have many great builders to choose from.

26 minutes ago, bobouz said:

I’m only referring to my personal preferences, which of course is based on what works best for me given my playing style, and the instruments I’ve had the pleasure to play.  Indeed, today we have many great builders to choose from.

Best acoustic guitar I ever played was a Preston Thompson. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I only ever aspired to play a Gibson. When I was a kid, I remember seeing pictures on my parents' LP sleeves of Dylan holding an SJ200 (Nashville Skyline) and Emmylou doing the same (Blue Kentucky Girl) and thinking "that's what the greats use". Further viewings of Johnny Cash, Waylon, Elvis, Townes, Little Jimmy Dickens (and so many more) playing them totally solidified that preconception. 

I respect Martin and Guild, and have owned and enjoyed a few of both. Three of the Martins I owned live in the "ones that got away" folder, I liked them so much, but it's always Gibsons that make my heart leap, even after all these years.

There is a certain caché that comes with stepping onstage with a Gibson, and they all make different statements about the artist, to my mind at least. SJ200=country and storytelling, Dove=alternative Americana, Hummingbird=blues rock, J45=hard bitten workingman anthems, L-00=blues and folk.

What the AJ says is anyone's guess, but it's usually something equally wonderful.

I enjoyed every Martin I owned, but I never felt that sense of identity when stepping onstage with one. Gibsons make such a visual and sonic impression on an audience, which to many artists may be a bad thing, but to me it's a big part of who I am and what I do.

Perhaps it's imaginary, or perhaps it's the weight of bringing my childhood dreams and ambitions to life, but for as long as I can remember, when I have stepped onstage with an SJ200, I've felt a sense of responsibility, the weight of greatness that all of those seminal artists who played an SJ200 brought to us as listeners and players, a duty and obligation to bring my A-game. To know that the guitar in your hands is capable of far more than the player holding it is a powerful thing...it makes you reach up, push towards the light and aspire. That aspiration is like lightning in a bottle, and can pull out of your soul the extra 2% that makes the difference between goodness and greatness. 

THAT is why I'll always be a Gibson player. These guitars gave me a license to dream, then a license to make that dream a reality. Through all of the insane ups and downs of my life and career over the last 23yrs, from playing arena gigs to being dropped by a label, penniless and living in my car (and a million other stations in between), the one thing that has sustained me through even the bleakest of times is the dream that lives inside the hard-shell case right next to me. My tireless travelling companion, the tool that gives voice to my inner dialogue, the key to the Tower of Song. 

Good enough for Townes, good enough (arguably TOO good) for me.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Jinder said:

I only ever aspired to play a Gibson. When I was a kid, I remember seeing pictures on my parents' LP sleeves of Dylan holding an SJ200 (Nashville Skyline) and Emmylou doing the same (Blue Kentucky Girl) and thinking "that's what the greats use". Further viewings of Johnny Cash, Waylon, Elvis, Townes, Little Jimmy Dickens (and so many more) playing them totally solidified that preconception. 

Ah yes, the Nashville Skyline cover.  I bought that album when it first came out, and immediately there was something about the angle of the shot & Dylan's smile that made you want to jump right into the scene & hold that guitar.

To this day, I Threw It All Away & One More Night are still two of the best country songs I've ever heard.  Add some Norman Blake, and you had magic.

So fifty some odd years later, I'm sitting here looking at that same shot on the cover of my CD copy - and still want to jump in.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, olie said:

I look at Martin as being a musical /quasi-religious symbol as well as a banner of Americanism that cannot be seriously criticized because...well, it's Martin.

Really. There is are reasons people play them and are reasons people don't. Same with all the other brands. Martin like Gibson and Taylor and Guild ect all make well made quality instruments. Its just what sound are you looking for. The one in which a company was stared by a guy named Orville may be your cup of tea or perhaps it was started by a guy named Christian ect. We all use the word best when it comes to stuff. Best can't be proven. But if you use the word favorite, no one can debate that.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

What I was attempting to say is that Martin guitars have been placed upon a pedestal occupied by no one else. The name has become almost a patriotic and religious symbol, and as such, is almost above criticism. I wasn't implying that they are not of high quality - they enjoy their reputation for good reason; but there is an air of sanctity about them that seems unassailable.

36 minutes ago, olie said:

What I was attempting to say is that Martin guitars have been placed upon a pedestal occupied by no one else. The name has become almost a patriotic and religious symbol, and as such, is almost above criticism. I wasn't implying that they are not of high quality - they enjoy their reputation for good reason; but there is an air of sanctity about them that seems unassailable.

I only have a Liberal Arts degree and had to look up the meaning of that last word.

14 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Funny.   But you knew the difference between  'best' and 'favorite'.     

You may but some use it interchangeably and think it means the same thing. Oh the word Greatest too.

Yet some how Jimi Hendrix is always voted as the best guitarist of all time in any poll.

Go to #1 I'll bet its Jimi.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 2/1/2021 at 3:32 PM, bobouz said:

Those old U.S . Guilds are workhorses. There great guitars. And Well built.  They may have not had the popularity   But out of the three brands. The Guilds  had the least issues.  I like Gibson , Martin , Old Guilds brands. Myself.   As well as the Franklin Acoustics at one point from Sandpoint ID  .

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2021 at 10:25 AM, Jinder said:

I respect Martin and Guild, and have owned and enjoyed a few of both. Three of the Martins I owned live in the "ones that got away" folder, I liked them so much, but it's always Gibsons that make my heart leap, even after all these years.

There is a certain caché that comes with stepping onstage with a Gibson, and they all make different statements about the artist, to my mind at least. SJ200=country and storytelling, Dove=alternative Americana, Hummingbird=blues rock, J45=hard bitten workingman anthems, L-00=blues and folk.

What the AJ says is anyone's guess, but it's usually something equally wonderful.

I enjoyed every Martin I owned, but I never felt that sense of identity when stepping onstage with one. Gibsons make such a visual and sonic impression on an audience, which to many artists may be a bad thing, but to me it's a big part of who I am and what I do.

Perhaps it's imaginary, or perhaps it's the weight of bringing my childhood dreams and ambitions to life, but for as long as I can remember, when I have stepped onstage with an SJ200, I've felt a sense of responsibility, the weight of greatness that all of those seminal artists who played an SJ200 brought to us as listeners and players, a duty and obligation to bring my A-game. To know that the guitar in your hands is capable of far more than the player holding it is a powerful thing...it makes you reach up, push towards the light and aspire. That aspiration is like lightning in a bottle, and can pull out of your soul the extra 2% that makes the difference between goodness and greatness. 

THAT is why I'll always be a Gibson player. These guitars gave me a license to dream, then a license to make that dream a reality. Through all of the insane ups and downs of my life and career over the last 23yrs, from playing arena gigs to being dropped by a label, penniless and living in my car (and a million other stations in between), the one thing that has sustained me through even the bleakest of times is the dream that lives inside the hard-shell case right next to me. My tireless travelling companion, the tool that gives voice to my inner dialogue, the key to the Tower of Song. 

Good enough for Townes, good enough (arguably TOO good) for me.

To me, the post above is the best and most eloquent one on this forum for a long, long time. It really moves me, and Jinder manages to channel EXACTLY how I feel about music, my guitars, and life in general when I hold a Gibson. Jinder is a musician at a level, which is not realistic for a hack like me to ever reach, but I can still relate to the feelings he describes so well.

Gibson guitars are way to good for me, at least if my ability for making music, is the only standard of evaluation.  However, Gibson brings intangibles into the equation in a way no other brand can match for me. I was playing "I'll Be Here in the Morning" by Townes van Zandt the other day, and I was sounding horrible (no surprise there), but when I closed my eyes, played and sang the song, at least in my dreams I could sound like I wanted to. If I had done that, then opened my eyes, looked slightly left and found a headstock saying "Taylor", that dream would  have been shattered in an instant. Luckily the headstock read Gibson, and the dream thankfully lasted at least a short while longer...

Lars

Yes I remember the Ovation years, everyone had one even Paul McCartney, you don't see him or anyone else for that matter with one now! can't say I liked them they would slide off your knee if you were sitting or roll around if you were standing.   A pal in my band had one bought it in NY red, nice to look at but not for me. I wonder where they all are now.   Guitars like everything go in fashions in the sixty's and seventies in was dreadnoughts now it's back to the guitar shaped guitars like the old days.

My first guitar 1964, was a Stella. $10. My first “good” guitar was a Gibson B-25, that I got from a pawn shop, “$90.)  1967. Never looked back. I like martins, & guilds, though I’ve owned more Guilds than Martins, I like them both. I just feel a connection to Gibsons, that I just don’t get with any other brand. I’m not a “my guitar is better than yours” kind of guy. Whatever floats your boat, is fine with me. I don’t agree that Gibsons were somehow under appreciated, seems like most of the people I listened to played Gibsons. Not all, but most.

2 hours ago, Paul14 said:

My first guitar 1964, was a Stella. $10. My first “good” guitar was a Gibson B-25, that I got from a pawn shop, “$90.)  1967. Never looked back. I like martins, & guilds, though I’ve owned more Guilds than Martins, I like them both. I just feel a connection to Gibsons, that I just don’t get with any other brand. I’m not a “my guitar is better than yours” kind of guy. Whatever floats your boat, is fine with me. I don’t agree that Gibsons were somehow under appreciated, seems like most of the people I listened to played Gibsons. Not all, but most.

Here's some of my guitar highlights leading up to my first Gibson.

1960 - first guitar, don't remember brand, Dad bought it from a pawn shop. Lasted 3 days. My older brothers crushed it playing El-Kabong 200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47k9r58d6o7bs9ttwz3p

1962 - Kay guitar. Mom got it with Top Value stamps acquired from Kroger's Grocery  (still have it). I've since added the black blocks to the fret board.

Kay

1964 - First electric - Teisco  (hanging on the left)

Music Room update 3

1970 - Ovation Tornado. Just like Glen Campbell. What I considered my first quality guitar. Played out in the bars for about 6 years with it.  Hanging on the left. 

Music Room update 3

2003 - My first quality acoustic. Taylor 315CE LTD

2008 - First Gibson. Chet Atkins Country Gentleman. Far right. 

F hole