Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson acoustic never got enough attention in my opinion

Revelation

9 hours ago, fretplay said:

Yes I remember the Ovation years, everyone had one even Paul McCartney, you don't see him or anyone else for that matter with one now! can't say I liked them they would slide off your knee if you were sitting or roll around if you were standing.   A pal in my band had one bought it in NY red, nice to look at but not for me. I wonder where they all are now.   Guitars like everything go in fashions in the sixty's and seventies in was dreadnoughts now it's back to the guitar shaped guitars like the old days.

Yes, he had at least a couple - the 6 and the 12 (which I saw live from the second row 😎),  , , in fact the whole band used them - WINGS.                                                                                                                                      Lennon got one too, but never Harrison as far as my memory goes back.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Macca returned to the D-28 and of course the original mid60s plastic bridged ceramic saddled Epi Texan.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            For 12 something tells me he actually turned to Gibson in the recent years. 

Just now, E-minor7 said:

Yes, he had at least a couple - the 6 and the 12 (which I saw live from the second row 😎),  , , in fact the whole band used them - WINGS.                                                                                                                                      Lennon got one too, but never Harrison as far as my memory goes back.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Macca returned to the D-28 and of course the original mid60s plastic bridged ceramic saddled Epi Texan.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            For 12 something tells me he actually turned to Gibson in the recent years. 

Eehhh, , , plus a dark cherry burst square circa 1970 version of the J-160E. 

On 02/02/2021 at 4:25 AM, Jinder said:

I only ever aspired to play a Gibson. When I was a kid, I remember seeing pictures on my parents' LP sleeves of Dylan holding an SJ200 (Nashville Skyline) and Emmylou doing the same (Blue Kentucky Girl) and thinking "that's what the greats use". Further viewings of Johnny Cash, Waylon, Elvis, Townes, Little Jimmy Dickens (and so many more) playing them totally solidified that preconception. 

I respect Martin and Guild, and have owned and enjoyed a few of both. Three of the Martins I owned live in the "ones that got away" folder, I liked them so much, but it's always Gibsons that make my heart leap, even after all these years.

There is a certain caché that comes with stepping onstage with a Gibson, and they all make different statements about the artist, to my mind at least. SJ200=country and storytelling, Dove=alternative Americana, Hummingbird=blues rock, J45=hard bitten workingman anthems, L-00=blues and folk.

What the AJ says is anyone's guess, but it's usually something equally wonderful.

I enjoyed every Martin I owned, but I never felt that sense of identity when stepping onstage with one. Gibsons make such a visual and sonic impression on an audience, which to many artists may be a bad thing, but to me it's a big part of who I am and what I do.

Perhaps it's imaginary, or perhaps it's the weight of bringing my childhood dreams and ambitions to life, but for as long as I can remember, when I have stepped onstage with an SJ200, I've felt a sense of responsibility, the weight of greatness that all of those seminal artists who played an SJ200 brought to us as listeners and players, a duty and obligation to bring my A-game. To know that the guitar in your hands is capable of far more than the player holding it is a powerful thing...it makes you reach up, push towards the light and aspire. That aspiration is like lightning in a bottle, and can pull out of your soul the extra 2% that makes the difference between goodness and greatness. 

THAT is why I'll always be a Gibson player. These guitars gave me a license to dream, then a license to make that dream a reality. Through all of the insane ups and downs of my life and career over the last 23yrs, from playing arena gigs to being dropped by a label, penniless and living in my car (and a million other stations in between), the one thing that has sustained me through even the bleakest of times is the dream that lives inside the hard-shell case right next to me. My tireless travelling companion, the tool that gives voice to my inner dialogue, the key to the Tower of Song. 

Good enough for Townes, good enough (arguably TOO good) for me.

On 05/02/2021 at 4:17 AM, Lars68 said:

To me, the post above is the best and most eloquent one on this forum for a long, long time. It really moves me, and Jinder manages to channel EXACTLY how I feel about music, my guitars, and life in general when I hold a Gibson. Jinder is a musician at a level, which is not realistic for a hack like me to ever reach, but I can still relate to the feelings he describes so well.

Gibson guitars are way to good for me, at least if my ability for making music, is the only standard of evaluation.  However, Gibson brings intangibles into the equation in a way no other brand can match for me. I was playing "I'll Be Here in the Morning" by Townes van Zandt the other day, and I was sounding horrible (no surprise there), but when I closed my eyes, played and sang the song, at least in my dreams I could sound like I wanted to. If I had done that, then opened my eyes, looked slightly left and found a headstock saying "Taylor", that dream would  have been shattered in an instant. Luckily the headstock read Gibson, and the dream thankfully lasted at least a short while longer...

Lars

There is nothing special or unique about Gibson guitars, compared to the other high quality instruments. These comments can be applied equally to those of us who prefer and play Martins, Taylors, Guilds or whatever.

RBSinTo

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

There is nothing special or unique about Gibson guitars, compared to the other high quality instruments. These comments can be applied equally to those of us who prefer and play Martins, Taylors, Guilds or whatever.

You of course have your philosophical alibi checked there. Counts for any instrument etc, , , also an old egg cutter.

But that said, Gibson really are something spezial - hahe, , , if you ask me. .  

39 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

RBSinTo

Truth 💣

I  don't often use emoji's, but when I do... its not a sad face.

I guess no one here is a CSNY fan or a fan all their solo stuff and other iterations, cause Martin is pretty much what most of those guys predominatly use. How do you listen to their music and stand it?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

You of course have your philosophical alibi checked there. Counts for any instrument etc, , , also an old egg cutter.

But that said, Gibson really are something spezial - hahe, , , if you ask me. .  

I didn't  (he he) ask you.

RBSinTo

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Truth 💣

I  don't often use emoji's, but when I do... its not a sad face.

I guess no one here is a CSNY fan or a fan all their solo stuff and other iterations, cause Martin is pretty much what most of those guys predominatly use. How do you listen to their music and stand it?

I would say that what that does is validate the idea that most of us don't choose guitars just to emulate artists we admire. I love the music of CSNY.

I like Martins. I just happen to have a preference for Gibsons. I love the way Gibsons play, and I love the way they sound, and I love the way they look. That doesn't mean I don't like Martins, too. 

Chances are about 9 in 10 I will grab a Gibson when I sit down to play. But I have a really nice Martin I pick up at other times. This is not necessarily a Manichean decision.

3 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

RBSinTo

You are absolutely right, there are a lot of great guitar makers out there of equal and sometimes  even better quality than Gibson. However, for me, the guitars of these other makers for some reason just don't touch my soul the same way a Gibson does.

Now, I realize there are probably posts just like mine above on the Taylor forum about someone's love and attachment to Taylor guitars. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's just the way the world works.

Lars

2 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

I didn't  (he he) ask you.

😎 Guess you addressed the entire Board. A group of playing people that may nod to your mind - but follow my soul.

I seriously think the G-factor is irrefutable and mysteriously significant. It's really something different, , , and players get addicted in a certain way.                                                                                                                                          Ever noticed G-newbies - they act a bit like they crossed over to a parallel universe. Some place they never ever want to lose contact with again. . 

25 minutes ago, Lars68 said:

You are absolutely right, there are a lot of great guitar makers out there of equal and sometimes  even better quality than Gibson. However, for me, the guitars of these other makers for some reason just don't touch my soul the same way a Gibson does.

Now, I realize there are probably posts just like mine above on the Taylor forum about someone's love and attachment to Taylor guitars. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's just the way the world works.

Lars

The best guitar I ever played (and I am a Martin guy) IMHO was made by Preston Thomson.  I think it was there take on the D-18 and that thing was hands down it. 

Your right every forum obviously has their own bias. But it gets old people slagging on other makers when I and you know damn well not every artist I and you listen to are playing your brand. And if you like the sounds other are making with them except the fact that there may be a flaw in your thinking. I didn't buy my Martins cause Neil or Stephen or David or Graham play them, I like how they sound. Have I heard a ton of Gibson on record and like the way they sound too. I owned a Gibson and it just didn't do anything for me. It was a J-15 and I know know I do not like Walnut as a tonewood. But I know Jackson Browne and Keef recorded with them and love those songs they used em on.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

8 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

😎 Guess you addressed the entire Board. A group of playing people that may nod to your mind - but follow my soul.

I seriously think the G-factor is irrefutable and mysteriously significant. It's really something different, , , and players get addicted in a certain way.                                                                                                                                          Ever noticed G-newbies - they act a bit like they crossed over to a parallel universe. Some place they never ever want to lose contact with again. . 

Dude I want what your smoking or eating cause it seems like you get better stuff than I can.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Dude I want what your smoking cause it seems like you get better stuff than I can.

O bearer of 3 chevrons, 6 all in all - haven't heard that song here in awhile. Makes me feel slightly younger, thx. But as said many times : The era of the oils is loooong gone.                                                                                                                                             If a few drops still flow freely somewhere in there, no one can help it. . 

15 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

O bearer of 3 chevrons, 6 all in all - haven't heard that song here in awhile. Makes me feel slightly younger, thx. But as said many times : The era of the oils is loooong gone.                                                                                                                                             If a few drops still flow freely somewhere in there, no one can help it. . 

In my real life I'm a retired Senior Chief with 3 chevrons, a rocker over the chevron's and a star above that. The Globe was my rating symbol, which meant I was an Electricians Mate. I just play a Sgt. on the forum. In the Navy and Coast Guard only Senior Chiefs, Master Chiefs and Admirals have stars on their uniform. Once a chief always a chief.

UdxmXK3.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

5 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

And I seriously think your Gibson schtick is incredibly self-righteous: that while everyone can have an opinion, yours is somehow special, and irrefutably (as you said) the right one. It is not. It is just yours, and no more or less valid than anyone elses'.

RBSinTo

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

In my real life I'm a retired Senior Chief with 3 chevrons, a rocker over the chevron's and a star above that. The Globe was my rating symbol, which meant I was an Electricians Mate. I just play a Sgt. on the forum. In the Navy and Coast Guard only Senior Chiefs, Master Chiefs and Admirals have stars on their uniform. Once a chief always a chief.

UdxmXK3.jpg

Okay - it's in the book. 

1 hour ago, RBSinTo said:

And I seriously think your Gibson schtick is incredibly self-righteous: that while everyone can have an opinion, yours is somehow special, and irrefutably (as you said) the right one. It is not. It is just yours, and no more or less valid than anyone elses'.

I totally agree - and can only repeat

4 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

But that said, Gibsons really are something spezial - hahe, , , if you ask me. .  

21 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

I totally agree - and can only repeat

Most times you type your posts in some secret Klingon code language many of us or let me say  I  just don't understand. I know you live outside the USA and English may not be your first language and sometime people from other counties sentences get misconstrued. I have no issues with that, but I have a feeling you are just doing it on purpose for some unknown reason to make yourself appear to be some sort of Philosophical Gibson Whisperer.  

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 minutes ago, Dave F said:

Maybe you can borrow a song title from Kool and The Gang and your military rank (p.s., thanks for your service) for you next avatar.

Big Chief Funkum

I never know what to say when people when say that to me. To me it was my job. No one put a gun to my head and forced me to serve. I did it of my own free will. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

What book are we talking about?

The Naked Lunch, The Bible, The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants, Jurassic Park?

☺️ ~ I'll keep from goin' futher. You would think I was on some sort of acid.  

Not the case - quietly eating egg on bread and butter, , , topped by cucumber, anchovies, onion-rings, flinders rosebuds, watercress sprinkled with lemon plus salt, , , and pepper. .                                                        Flanked by 2 cups filled with milk and H2o. Soon the coffee will be boiling. In my head sing Birds and J-45s. Now back to Gibsons. . 

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

I never know what to say when people say that to me. To me it was my job. No one put a gun to my head and forced me to serve. I did it of my own free will. 

I meant it in all sincerity. I've had a brother served in Nam, my Dad was in WW2 and I have numerous friends that served. Regardless of the reason, it is a sacrifice.

1 minute ago, E-minor7 said:

☺️ ~ I'll keep from goin' futher. You would think I was on some sort of acid.  

Not the case - quietly eating egg on bread and butter, , , topped by cucumber, anchovies, onion-rings, flinders rosebuds, watercress sprinkled with lemon plus salt, , , and pepper. .                                                        Flanked by 2 cups filled with milk and H2o. Soon the coffee will be boiling. In my head sing Birds and J-45s. Now back to Gibsons. . 

I don't know what drugs you have or have not done in the past. 

9 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I meant it in all sincerity. I've had a brother served in Nam, my Dad was in WW2 and I have numerous friends that served. Regardless of the reason, it is a sacrifice.

I know people mean it sincerely, but still it always throws me. Like now all of us  who were in and are still in the military are now hero's. The guys that went after and took out Osama Bin F-uck head  are hero's. My dad was in and many relatives and my Father in law was in Nam too. 

I of course have the utmost respect for any one who is serving and served, but all of us hero's. I guess I look at it differently since I was served. The guys in Nam were f'ed over by our own Government and spit on when they came home. What a crying shame.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper