Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson acoustic never got enough attention in my opinion

Revelation

22 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

There is nothing special or unique about Gibson guitars, compared to the other high quality instruments. These comments can be applied equally to those of us who prefer and play Martins, Taylors, Guilds or whatever.

RBSinTo

Since you chose to put a turd in the Gibson Punchbowl,  let me point out - no one invited you to the party.   You are free to go lurk on the Martin, Taylor and Guild forums.  Where I assume you will also tell those folks that they are nothing special either.   Maybe even  'self-righteous'.    Is this what they call  'relativity' ?

41 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Since you chose to put a turd in the Gibson Punchbowl,  let me point out - no one invited you to the party.   You are free to go lurk on the Martin, Taylor and Guild forums.  Where I assume you will also tell those folks that they are nothing special either.   Maybe even  'self-righteous'.    Is this what they call  'relativity' ?

Here we go again. Its like the Jimi Hendrix is the greatest guitarist thing again. When discussing Gibson, Martin, Taylor, Guild ect neither one is the best, and is subject to ones opinion of what is best. If it says CFM on the headstock and it does a certain thing for you, great. Like wise for Gibby or Guild or Taylor. Its arguing for the sake of arguing.

But back to the topic. To say Gibson Acoustics never got enough attention is absolutely preposterous. You may see another brand played more, but that does not mean they never got enough attention.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Well, this is after all the official Gibson acoustic guitar forum. Anyone looking for a balanced and unbiased opinion regarding the merits of Gibson guitars versus the rest of the guitar market is most definetly in the wrong place. 

Likes, dislikes, heart, soul, and emotional responses cannot be explained and solved like a mathematical equation.  Likwise, a ranking of best guitar makers can of course not be calculated using any measurable criteria. No such thing exists, never has and never will. We all know this. Yet when members here are asked which is the best acoustic guitar in the world, and they answer ”Gibson” without any hint of hesitation, this is to be completely expected. Also, anyone critizing any lack of disclaimers in connection with such a reply, such as ”in my opinion” or ”I believe”, should again remember what forum they are visiting. 

Lars

23 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If it says CFM on the headstock and it does a certain thing for you, great.

I always thought CFM meant "Come F*** Me" (such as "CFM shoes", for example).  So perhaps someone with "CFM on the headstock" might "do a certain thing for you". 😂

3 minutes ago, Boyd said:

I always thought CFM meant "Come F*** Me" (such as "CFM shoes", for example).  So perhaps someone with "CFM on the headstock" might "do a certain thing for you". 😂

Naked women do a certain thing for me, but only on special occasions, or if I pay them.

Here is the CFM on my headstock. No shoes in sight.

5dGkAqN.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

15 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Here a Gibson Duckbird. 

That's Donald Duck, singing the blues about how Daisy Duck done him wrong. Mickey Mouse came along and Donald began ranting and squawking about about Daisy. Mickey said, "Calm down Donald! So, Daisy is acting a little strange, what's the big deal?" Donald squawked back "I didn't say she was acting strange, I said she was f***ing Goofy!!!"

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Boyd said:

That's Donald Duck, singing the blues about how Daisy Duck done him wrong. Mickey Mouse came along and Donald began ranting and squawking about about Daisy. Mickey said, "Calm down Donald! So, Daisy is acting a little strange, what's the big deal?" Donald squawked back "I didn't say she was acting strange, I said she was f***ing Goofy!!!"

I think Goofy is a dog so, she I guess technically she is screwing the pooch.

Donald is playing one of those rare 3 stringers.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

All forums, including this one, rely on anecdotal evidnece to support this or that argument.   So I know this or that particular  guitar works exceptioally well for this or that style music because it is what I own.   Then, of course, yo got 20 other folks telling you the guitar they own is the best choice.  Makes you  wonder how anybody was able to choose a guitar in the days before the internet and forums.  Oh yeah, they actually went out and played them.

For me, Gibsons  (and Harmonys) work  for how I appraoch  a guitar.  While I can only  speak to older Gibsons,  I love the fact they have a fast decay.  The notes leap off the strings but do not hang around long to wear out ther welcome.   To my ears they have a lot of dynamc range  but will reach a point when you start digging in and increasing the volume where a certain rawness or harshness (as best as I can describe it) sets in.    This works well for me but if I was playing say bluegrass an older slope shoulder Gibson would not be my first choice of guitars.